St. Columban Irish Photo Gallery

Home / Cemetery Wall Dedication Plaque [12]

This plaque was made possible through a generous grant from the Irish Government, Dublin, Ireland - Department of Foreign Affairs' Emigrant Support Program (2010). Cuireadh an leac seo ar fáil ar bhun deontais ó Rialtas na h Éireann faoin gClár Tacaíochta Imircí (2010) de chuid na Roinne Gnóthaí Eachtracha agus Trádála. La réalisation de cette plaque commémorative a été rendue possible grâce à la généreuse contribution du Département des Affaires étrangères de la République d’Irlande dans le cadre du Emigrant Support Program (2010). WWW.STCOLUMBAN-IRISH.COM The Irish Settlement of St. Columban After 1821 Irish immigrants settled on the territory of what is now called, Saint-Colomban. During subsequent years, despite inhospitable conditions, an Irish community thrived and grew under the auspices of Father Richard Jackson. After his departure in 1825, he was replaced by Father Patrick Phelan. Father Phelan was responsible for the Irish communities of both St. Columban and Montreal. He later rose to prominence in the Church as Curate for Bytown (the future City of Ottawa) and as Bishop of the Kingston diocese. In 1830, a public meeting was held to decide on the best location for the construction of a chapel which would serve the growing Irish Catholic population of the area. Mgr. Jean-Jacques Lartigue named the new chapel St. Columban, after the celebrated 7th-Century Irish monk who was the founder of many monasteries throughout Europe. A simple chapel was built in 1831 on a portion of land that is now part of the Church parking lot. On October 14, 1835, St. Columban acquired its autonomy from Ste-Scholastique and held its first meetings and elections as the self sustaining Parish of St. Columban. On December 28, 1836, John Phelan donated a section of his land to the Church wardens which is now part of the cemetery. The story of the St. Columban Irish is part of a larger heritage, that of the Irish in Quebec. Gradually the families in St. Columban left their farms and settled elsewhere, but their Celtic mark remains in the village their ancestors had built. De « l’Irish Settlement » à la ville de Saint-Colomban Dés 1821 des immigrants irlandais s’implantent sur le territoire du futur Saint-Colomban. Les lieux encore inoccupés n’offrent qu’un sol médiocre couvert de forêts. Malgré des conditions inhospitalières, une colonie naîtra au cours des années subséquentes, tout d’abord sous l’auspice du sulpicien Richard Jackson et à partir de 1835, de son remplaçant de la même congrégation, Patrick Phelan, futur évêque de Kingston, Ontario. L’établissement est connu alors sous l*appellation de Rivière du Nord, paroisse Sainte-Scholastique ou encore de « l’Irish settlement ». En 1830, les habitants se réunissent afin de déterminer le meilleur endroit possible pour l’érection d’une chapelle dont le patronyme Saint-Colomban choisit par Mgr. Jean-Jacques Lartigue, réfère au célèbre moine Irlandais fondateur de plusieurs monastères en Europe. La construction d’un modeste lieu de culte voit le jour l’année suivante. Le 14 octobre 1835 l’élection de marguilliers marque le début officiel de la paroisse de Saint-Colomban. En date du 28 décembre 1836, John Phelan cède à la Fabrique une partie de sa terre en vu de permettre la mise en place du présent cimetière. Les aléas de l’Histoire firent en sorte de voir l’ethnie fondatrice disparaître graduellement au fil des décennies, mais le territoire conserve bien présent, les traces tangibles et immatérielles de leur apport ethno-historique celtique. In the spring of 2010, three monument walls were constructed. Mounted onto these walls were the broken headstones (some dating back to the early 1800’s ) that were found in the area. These monument walls are dedicated to over 700 Irish immigrants and their descendants who were laid to rest in the St. Columban cemetery. Over the years their burial markers disappeared. On July 3rd a procession was held from the church to the cemetery. It was led by Father Mike McKenna. The walls were then consecrated in an emotional and heart-lifting ceremony. Depuis le printemps 2010, trois structures de briques intégrant les pierres tombales brisées du cimetière de Saint-Colomban, ornent le centre de la partie initiale de l’espace consacré. Elles commémorent les quelques 700 personnes d’origine irlandaise inhumées dans le cimetière de la paroisse de Saint-Colomban sans aucun monument funéraire. Le 3 juillet de la même année, une cérémonie inaugure l’ouvrage, fruit d’un partenariat fructueux entre les membres du Comité de mise en valeur des pierres tombales brisées et divers intervenants dont: Tiomanta don bhreis is 700 deoraí, de shliocht Éireannach, a deir na croinicí a cuireadh sa reilig seo gan leac gan cuimhne. This project came to fruition because of the dedication, hard work and donations of the Irish descendants and friends of St. Columban including: The St. Patrick's Society of Montreal La Fabrique de St-Colomban La ville de St-Colomban Le comité responsable pour la conception et la réalisation de monument ce compose des personnes suivantes: The Committee responsible for the conception, design and construction of this project are: Claude Bourguignon Fergus V. Keyes Jeff Legault Anne McLaughlin Kenneth Neil Audrey O’Rourke-Gossage Kelley O'Rourke-Thomassin