St. Columban-Irish Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Elliott (& Blanchfield) Family of St. Columban  (Read 1323 times)

Fergus Keyes

• Global Moderator
  • St. Columban - Real People - Real History !
Elliott (& Blanchfield) Family of St. Columban
« on: March 19, 2016, 11:15:39 AM »

A recent e-mail received....

Hello,
My apology for not finding the correct email address for sharing this with the whole forum. . .

First, I want to thank everyone involved in sharing, researching and archiving so much wonderful work pertaining to St. Columban. . .  I am so appreciative of your heart-felt efforts to make sure that the lives of so many are remembered and cherished for the future generations!
I came across your wonderfully researched website quite a while back when researching my mother's extended family of the Elliott's.
Mr. Michael Elliott,(b. 1864 at St Columban) son of Edward Elliott and Mary Blanchfield, came to the small town of Mount Hope, in Grant County, Wisconsin between 1872 to 1875, and settled in an area (still) called "Irish Ridge", that dates back to the establishment of a large following of Irish Catholic families attending St. Lawrence O'Toole Catholic church.  According to Michael's obituary, he was the youngest of 16 children, and it is believed that only he and his sister, Ann, came to the USA.

Michael Elliott married a good Irish Catholic girl, Mary Ann Mulrooney in 1881 at St. Lawrence O'Toole Church and they had 11 children. . . Mary Ann Mulrooney was the daughter of Darby Jeremiah Mulrooney, b. 1833 in Riverstown, Sligo, Ireland and wife, Catherine Dunn, born in Kilkenny, Ireland. 

I would be most appreciative and interested in sharing any information about the Elliot/Elliott family members from St Columban with whomever has an interest!  I would like to know of extended Elliott family in the area and where the rest of the family spread out to. . .
And, I would most definitely share any information and assist in others' research as well!

Please view my updated profile for listing of my research so far, (since abt 1986 when my grandmother passed away), and feel free to view my tree on Ancestry.com and email me directly at LisaJ196305@gmail.com

I have SO enjoyed the photos, the memories, the research shared about the St Columban Irish at your website!
Here's wishing you all many 4-leaf clovers in your future endeavors!

Warmest regards,
Lisa J. Jones
LisaJ196305@gmail.com

kecarm

Re: Elliott (& Blanchfield) Family of St. Columban
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 04:55:15 PM »

Lisa,

I have information for you about Michael’s sister Anne Elliott who did come to the U.S. She married Michael Dwyer, also of St. Columban, in 1856. They married while still in Canada. Anne was my great, great grandmother. She and Michael Dwyer had 11 children: John Elliott (1857), Mary Agnes (1858; my great grandmother), Thomas (1860), Delia “Bridget” (1862), Margaret Jane (1865), Joseph James (1866), Catherine “Kate” Ellen (1868), Anna “Annie” Matilda (1872) , Michael Francis “Frank” (1874), Malvina Alice (1876), and William Edward “Ed” (1878). Joseph James, born in 1866, was the first child born in the U.S. (Chicago), so they must have come to this country between 1856 and 1866.

My great grandmother married John Dwyer Wallace in Chicago in 1877. John died at age 38, leaving Mary Agnes with seven children to raise: Henry Arnold, Gertrude Anne (my grandmother), John Dwyer Jr., Evelyn Mary, Elsie Mae, Elliot Michael, and James Woolverton.

Anne and Michael Dwyer both died in Hobart, IN which is where is where Malvina lived. Michael died in 22 Nov 1909 and Anne Elliott Dwyer died 7 Mar 1916. (I have attached pictures of Michael and Anne circa 1890).

I remember visiting “Aunt Malvina” in Hobart when I was a very little girl. She and her husband Frank Belkow lived on a farm and they had a water pump in the yard, which fascinated a city kid like me.

This St. Columban site is so fascinating! I knew my Irish relatives came to the U.S. from Canada, but I had no idea there was an entire Irish community there pre-potato famine.

Kate Carmichael