St. Columban-Irish Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Williams of St. Columban  (Read 3405 times)

Fergus Keyes

• Global Moderator
  • St. Columban - Real People - Real History !
Williams of St. Columban
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »

A recent note from:

Fern Reid
[fernreid@gmail.com]

Greetings all, and especially Don

I do hope all is well and all are well, since the years have passed since the above was posted !

I, myself, only just discovered a few days ago, and from a gal from Nainamo, BC, who was talking about the Williams clan and St.Columban.

I thought St.Columban was a Parish, until I found the website, and boy what a wealth of information, and to find 17 pages of George Williams family, whom, I am a descendant of.

I will explain how, my mum, Loretta Feron Reid, was daughter of James Patrick Feron (Irish Funeral Home Montreal - JP Feron) must be in the genes, as I noticed that Fergus mentions "Descendants of this hearty group of settlers, noted the Whealans, Kellys and McEvoys, who became involved in the funeral business in Ottawa came from these settlers"

Back to my mum,(Loretta Feron) Grandfather (JP Feron) & now my great-grandfather, James Feron he married Margaret Elizabeth Ann Williams !

who's parents were Thomas Williams (youngest son of George and Mary & would of been only 9 when George passed away) & Bridgit McKeon.

Donald I see that you are a direct descendant of Michael (the eldest son) so Thomas's brother.

I was excited to discover today that Glanmire,county Cork is where they were from in Ireland. I did visit Ireland for the 1st time (won't be my last) last August - it felt like home !

Next stop Cork !

Although I live in Ontario , just moved from Toronto, to  Jackson's Point - 1 hour directly north of Toronto (Lake Simcoe) we do venture in for St.Patrick's day most years !

“Tis a Grand thing, digging into the past, finding long lost relatives.

Reading about their struggles and finding out these pioneer survived and prospered.

The stories are full of hope.

They had a belief, they had family, they had Love.

Truly does make one appreciate what you have and think that you should never take anything that is precious for granted.

Their perseverance in the eye of many adversities, gave us the opportunities we have today, and what lies ahead of us.

My never quit attitude and optimism, is likely from these very descendants, and for that I am truly thankful.

Finding out one’s lineage goes to your core, it’s as if you knew them, you feel a sense of kinship, from the very start.

A toast to Ireland, a toast to Family, a toast to Life.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:52:28 PM by Fergus Keyes »