St. Columban-Irish Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tracey family  (Read 3679 times)

TraceyFam

Tracey family
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:27 PM »

I am always eager to learn more about my Tracey ancestors in St. Columban.  And if I may be so bold, I would like to introduce you to my latest book, "A Rebellious Spirit: Daniel Tracey" which tells about the experiences of my ancestor, Daniel Tracey who left Ireland around 1815, spent many years in Newfoundland, and then travelled to Montreal with his little family to settle first in Griffintown, then on to St. Columban where he farmed there during the village's very early days.
The story is a work of historical fiction, and because of the very meagre information available to me, some of the characters are an invention of my imagination; but, all of the historical background is factual.  It covers the very turbulent years in Quebec from about 1825 to 1840s; during this time a fiery uprising, the 1837 Rebellion, almost brought the government down, and Daniel Tracey became one of the main instigators who encouraged the residents of St. Columban to get involved.
I discovered this website on the St. Columban Irish when doing my research on the book, and found the information most valuable and exciting.  The records provided by the Blanchfields listing the vital records - births, marriages, deaths - was a rare find.  Thank You !!
I would like to learn more about the town and hope others share my enthusiasm to preserve the Irish history of the place.  Evelyn

Fergus Keyes

• Global Moderator
  • St. Columban - Real People - Real History !
Re: Tracey family
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »

What an interesting project. I have read a very great deal about the Lower Canada rebellion of 1837 and, of course, know something about Daniel Tracey and his newspaper. However, I never actually connected him to the St. Columban family. I am aware that my own great, great grandfather Patrick Keyes (then spelled Keys) was somehow involved in the Rbellion on the side of the Patriots, along with many other Irish of St. Columban. I would be very interested in getting a copy of your book. I will also post your note on our facebook page that sometimes receives other information about St. Columban than is noted here on our official page.

Fergus Keyes

• Global Moderator
  • St. Columban - Real People - Real History !
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »

Here is copy of some information that I posted in the past about St. Columban and the rebellion of 1837
Many of you know, of course, that there was a "Rebellion" in Lower Canada in 1837-8. There is a web page (in French) dedicated to the Patriots of this Rebellion. It is interesting to note that the Irish of St. Columban seemed to support the Patriots (who were mostly French) against the Loyalists (who were mainly English)...Here are a couple of examples of my ancestors and other St. Columban residents that were attending meetings leading up to the Rebellion

Type d'événement :      Nomination       
Date :      19 juil 1835     
Lieu précis :           
Localité :      St.colomban     
Comté :      Deux-monts     
Organisé par :           
Source :      VIND 31-07-1835             

Outre Patrick Keys, ont aussi participé à cette Nomination du mouvement patriote : J. U. Ahern, N. J. Alleyn, Richd. Blanchville, E. Bowen, Thos. Brien, John Brown, Wm. Burke, H. Caldwell, E. G. Cannon, A. W. Cochran, Charles Coller, G. R. Cullin, Dominick Daly, W. Downs, Brien Finnigam, Charles Gethings, H. N. Jones, James Kelly, John Kennedy, Patrick Keys, Paul Lepper, James Madden, Thos Mckenna, J. M. Muckle, James Murphy, J. P. O'Meara, John O'Niell, Hugh O'Reilly, G. H. Parke, H. Pemberton, Walter Plunket, Sam. Rourke, Patrick Ryan, Thos. Ryan, S. Waller[/size],
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nomination       
Date :            19 juil 1835
Lieu précis :           
Localité :            St.colomban
Comté :            Deux-monts
Organisé par :           
Source :            VIND 31-07-1835             

Outre John Ryan, ont aussi participé à cette Nomination du mouvement patriote : Michael Falley, Felix Murphy, Daniel Phelan, John Phelan, John Ryan[/size],

Nomination 
Date : 19 juil 1835
Lieu précis : 
Localité : St.colomban
Comté : Deux-monts
Organisé par : 
Source : VIND 31-07-1835

Outre Patrick Ryan, ont aussi participé à cette Nomination du mouvement patriote : J. U. Ahern, N. J. Alleyn, Richd. Blanchville, E. Bowen, Thos. Brien, John Brown, Wm. Burke, H. Caldwell, E. G. Cannon, A. W. Cochran, Charles Coller, G. R. Cullin, Dominick Daly, W. Downs, Brien Finnigam, Charles Gethings, H. N. Jones, James Kelly, John Kennedy, Patrick Keys, Paul Lepper, James Madden, Thos Mckenna, J. M. Muckle, James Murphy, J. P. O'Meara, John O'Niell, Hugh O'Reilly, G. H. Parke, H. Pemberton, Walter Plunket, Sam. Rourke, Patrick Ryan, Thos. Ryan, S. Waller, [/size]

TraceyFam

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »

Thank you, Fergus.  I read through your list of people who supported the Patriotes during the 1837 Rebellion, and it is amazing that a small community like St. Columban, barely settled in 1837, would have involved so many people. But they were fighting a just cause, and, given their history of oppression of the Irish in Ireland by Britain, it was natural that they would support similar oppression in Lower and Upper Canada. 
Of course, record-keeping in those days was not like it is now in our digital age, so I wonder if this list is complete.  There were so many Patriotes who were captured by the British and after the Battle of St. Eustache, hundreds of them were marched off to the Pied du Courant prison at the south end of Montreal.  This prison was built to house 276 prisoners but instead, held 1,500 prisoners after the defeat of the Patriotes.  There's quite an interesting outcome to all these arrests, as the magistrate tried and failed to charge them with treason.  In any case, most were pardoned, about 100 were deported to Australia, and about 12 of them were hanged; their leaders fled to the U.S. and elsewhere.  Daniel Tracey died at the Battle of St. Eustache - at least that would be my best guess, since the only record showing of him in the St. Columban records were of his death in 1837. 
I have published an ebook as I had mentioned, it is published under www.smashwords.com and can be found by plugging in the title: A Rebellious Spirit: Daniel Tracey.   I encourage members of the St. Columban Irish participating in the forum and viewing the website to check it out, and I am offering a 20% discount ($3.99) for the next three months. This is the code to enter to claim the discount:  QB62H   I hope to do a sequel eventually.  Thanks for this opportunity, and for sure I will be following this forum to keep learning more about this great little village.
Evelyn Cohoon Dreiling

claude bourguignon

• I Love St. Columban!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:41:02 AM »

Selon toute vraisemblance le patriote Daniel Tracey n'est pas le Daniel Tracey de St-Colomban.

Le patriote vivait à Montréal où il décède célibataire en 1832 tandis que Daniel Tracey de St-Colomban meurt en 1838 et il était marié avec Frances Mangan (Manning ?).
Source: Curé Isidore Forget Notes généalogiques  (1905).

Daniel Tracey
(vers 1794-1832)

Biographie Interventions Conférences de presse Projets de loi
Biographie
Né probablement dans le comté de King, en Irlande, en ou vers 1794, fils de Denys Tracey, marchand, et d'Anne Manford.

Fit des études au Trinity College de l'Université de Dublin à compter de 1814, qu'il poursuivit vraisemblablement au Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, à Dublin.

Exerça la médecine et la chirurgie à Dublin. En 1825, s'établit à Montréal. Fonda en 1828 l'Irish Vindicator and Canada General Advertiser, qui devint le Vindicator and Canadian Advertiser. Par suite de la parution, le 3 janvier 1832, d'un article appelant l'abolition du Conseil législatif, fut arrêté le 13 par le sergent d'armes de ce conseil, sous une accusation de diffamation, et emprisonné, avec Ludger Duvernay, de La Minerve, du 17 janvier au 25 février.

Élu député de Montréal-Ouest à une élection partielle le 22 mai 1832.

Décédé en fonction à Montréal, le 18 juillet 1832, à l'âge d'environ 38 ans. Les obsèques eurent lieu dans l'église Notre-Dame, le même jour.

Était célibataire.

Beau-frère de Charles Wilson.

Source : DBC.

Date de mise à jour de la biographie : Juillet 2009

TraceyFam

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:46 PM »

Vous avez absolument raison, M. Bourguigon.  C'est vrai que le Docteur Daniel Tracey est arrrivé de l'Irlande avec son jeune frère John et sa soeur Ann en 1825, et son histoire continue.
Ce qu'est arrivé c'est que je suis venue à la même conclusion mais - quand j'ai retracé mon Daniel Tracey, c'était clairement évident que c'était un autre Daniel Tracey.  Alors, comment résoudre le problème ?  J'aimais bien l'histoire du Docteur, alors j'ai arrangé mon plot de façon que les deux Daniel Tracey se sont rencontrés par hasard, et sont devenus de bons amis.
Mon Daniel Tracey s'est marié avec Frances Manning - vous avez bien raison - et son fils, Michael, a marié Mary McCarthy.  Ensuite, un de leurs enfants, Elizabeth Tracey, a marié Joseph Trudeau.  Un de leurs enfants, Marguerite Trudeau a marié Edouard Larin, et elle est ma grand-mère.
Je vois juste un problème avec vos faits: le Docteur Daniel ne s'est jamais marié d'après l'annonce nécrologique qui a paru dans le journal The Vindicator em 1837, écrit par le Dr. Callaghan, qui a continué de publier ce journal après son décès.  Ce n'est pas lui qui était marié avec Frances Mangan.
Oui, c'est bien mélangeant.
Le manque d'information pour les immigrants Irlandais et leurs lieux de naissance, etc., n'aide pas.  Je n'étais pas au courant du fait que l'Archevêque Forget avais tout cela dans des notes généalogiques.  Très intéressant.
Merci de vos commentaires.

TraceyFam

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 05:59:26 PM »

I have uploaded another book in my series on the Tracey family of St. Columban; it is entitled "From Colony to Country: Michael Tracey" and it follows the story of Daniel Tracey's son, Michael, against the backdrop of some of the historical events of the mid-19th century.  It is a work of historical fiction, just like the first in the series "A Rebellious Spirit: Daniel Tracey" but it is based on the Traceys who lived in St. Columban and Griffintown in Montreal.  I love digging into history and am constantly surprised by the little vignettes I come across which may or may not have found their way into the history books.  But I especially like to find the root causes of conflicts and political events.  I also wrote an acknowledgement to Fergus Keyes and Claude Bourguignon.  This is what I wrote:
"The people who organized and established a website and a contact point for information on the former Irish settlers of St. Columban deserve a special thanks.  It is only through the tireless efforts of Fergus Keyes and Claude Bourguignon, as well as the many members of this organisation that these two books have been made possible, both the story of Daniel Tracey and his son Michael Tracey in the sequel.
This group is entirely comprised of volunteers and their efforts to raise money and awareness of this area have made all the difference in preserving the heritage of the little Irish community that struggled against all odds to settle the harsh, unforgiving land in such a primitive setting in the 19th century."   The ebook is being reviewed at present, but should be ready for uploading on the www.smashwords.com site very soon.  I hope the book succeeds in bringing awareness to the little village of St. Columban.

claude bourguignon

• I Love St. Columban!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »

Hi

What museum do you speak ? No museum exist in St-Colomban.

Claude