Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're welcome Ruth;

One other point that I discovered is that the area of Kilkenny called Castlecomer is right on the border of County Laois. It would seem that at least the Keyes family (and likely other early St. Columban settlers) were living on both sides - so some were in Co. Kilkenny and others in County Laois. It is only a very few miles (maybe 2 or 3 miles) from the village of Cough to the Laois Border. Also Laois which is pronounced something like "Leich" was originally called Kings county in the past.

Of course, not all St. Columban settlers were from Kilkenny (or Laois) but I think that they formed a core group and likely were all familiar to Patrick Phelan - the priest.

One last point about the Landowners Map from 1640 - it certainly doesn't show all the names of families in the area (i.e. Keyes does not appear on the map) and other families like the Phelans which have tombstones in all of the cemeteries in the area are also not shown.

Anyway, just a few points for your interest

Take Care

Fergus
You're welcome Ruth;

One other point that I discovered is that the area of Kilkenny called Castlecomer is right on the border of County Laois. It would seem that at least the Keyes family (and likely other early St. Columban settlers) were living on both sides - so some were in Co. Kilkenny and others in County Laois. It is only a very few miles (maybe 2 or 3 miles) from the village of Cough to the Laois Border. Also Laois which is pronounced something like "Leich" was originally called Kings county in the past.

Of course, not all St. Columban settlers were from Kilkenny (or Laois) but I think that they formed a core group and likely were all familiar to Patrick Phelan - the priest.

One last point about the Landowners Map from 1640 - it certainly doesn't show all the names of families in the area (i.e. Keyes does not appear on the map) and other families like the Phelans which have tombstones in all of the cemeteries in the area are also not shown.

Anyway, just a few points for your interest

Take Care

Fergus

Messages In This Thread
Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban - by marylund - 10-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Map of Kilkenny - by Fergus_Keyes - 10-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Kilkenny Homeowners C. 1640 - by Fergus_Keyes - 10-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Re: Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban - by Fergus_Keyes - 10-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Re: Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban - by jeff.legault - 10-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Re: Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban - by jeff.legault - 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Re: Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban - by jeff.legault - 10-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Rothe House - by Fergus_Keyes - 10-12-2008, 01:18 PM