Lowell (Lavelle); McGarr & Monaghan Families

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lowell497@hotmail.com
>
> Hi.  I found this site after reading the article in the citizen on Sunday.
> I'm so excited about this.  My husbands family arrived in St. Columban
> around 1860.  His great-great grandfather was Patrick Emmett Lowell
> (listed in church records as Lavelle.  His great grandmother and
> grandfather were married at St. Columban in 1867.  The register shows the
> names as Peter Lavelle and Marian McGarr.  I don't know whether the name
> was Lavelle and then changed to Lowell or if the Lavelle was just a case
> of misunderstanding on the part of the priest.  The children are all
> recorded as Lavelle also.  We have at least two people buried in St.
> Columban Patrick Lowell (Lavelle), A son of Patrick Emmett and Elenora
> Monaghan, he was about 23 died July 25, 1867.  Also Elenora Monaghan died
> August 22, 1862 will still in St. Columban so she must be buried there
> too. Sometime before 1881 they all moved to Low Quebec and from then on
> the name is recorded as Lowell.  I'd like to find out about the name and
> try and find out where they came from in Ireland.  I will be contributing
> to the restoration fund I think this is a wonderful project. It will
> probably take me some time to learn how to navigate and use this site.
> Hope I don't make too many mistakes. Please let me know if I can
> contribute any information to the site.
>
> Eileen Lowell
> Braeside, Ont.
lowell497@hotmail.com
>
> Hi.  I found this site after reading the article in the citizen on Sunday.
> I'm so excited about this.  My husbands family arrived in St. Columban
> around 1860.  His great-great grandfather was Patrick Emmett Lowell
> (listed in church records as Lavelle.  His great grandmother and
> grandfather were married at St. Columban in 1867.  The register shows the
> names as Peter Lavelle and Marian McGarr.  I don't know whether the name
> was Lavelle and then changed to Lowell or if the Lavelle was just a case
> of misunderstanding on the part of the priest.  The children are all
> recorded as Lavelle also.  We have at least two people buried in St.
> Columban Patrick Lowell (Lavelle), A son of Patrick Emmett and Elenora
> Monaghan, he was about 23 died July 25, 1867.  Also Elenora Monaghan died
> August 22, 1862 will still in St. Columban so she must be buried there
> too. Sometime before 1881 they all moved to Low Quebec and from then on
> the name is recorded as Lowell.  I'd like to find out about the name and
> try and find out where they came from in Ireland.  I will be contributing
> to the restoration fund I think this is a wonderful project. It will
> probably take me some time to learn how to navigate and use this site.
> Hope I don't make too many mistakes. Please let me know if I can
> contribute any information to the site.
>
> Eileen Lowell
> Braeside, Ont.

Hi Eileen,

I am one of the researchers/descendents of St. Columban.  I have some information I found to share with you regarding your family.  There is a bit of mystery attached to your family as well (see Honora/Eleanora Lavell).  Perhaps you have the answers.  Lavell/Lavelle/Lowell

According to Father Forget's records he has your family grouped accordingly:

1.      Lavell, Honora/Eleonora born in 1871 (no records of her birth in St. Columban) orphaned and living with Matthew McGarr      in 1888.  (Her parents were Peter Lavell and Marian McGarr.  I don't know why she would have been sent to live with her      grandparents or maybe even volunteered.  My hunch is the parents left St. Columban at this time and she wanted to      remain.)  

2.      Patrick Lavell and Eleonora Monahan (she was buried August 24, 1862, St. Columban cemetery)
     - Patrick born in 1844 and was buried July 27, 1867, St. Columban cemetery)
     - Peter was married March 5 1867 to Marian/Mary Ann McGarr

3.      James Lavell and Mary Sullivan
     - Patrick was baptized January 31, 1866

4.      Peter Lavell and Marian/Mary Ann McGarr (Matthew McGarr and Catherine Williams)
     - Catherine baptized January 31, 1868
     - Elizabeth baptized April 19, 1873
     - James baptized August 9, 1874
     - Matthew baptized January 2, 1877
     - Mary Ann baptized April 15, 1879  she married Joseph Williams Sept. 28, 1950 in St. Columban.
     - Mary Jane born in Montreal, St. Ann's parish April 20, 1882(The name in the parish register is now Lowell and Peter      is listed as a labourer) Mary Jane is not in Father Forget's book.

According to the St. Columban microfilm:

2.      Eleonora Monahan Lavell:  On the twenty fourth day of August one thousand eight hundred and sixty-two, we the      undersigned priest interred in the cemetery the body of Eleonora Monahan, deceased two days previous, aged about fifty      years, wife of Patrick Lavell, farmer of this parish. Present Patrick Lavell and James Lavell who could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey

Patrick Lavell:  On the twenty seventh day of July one thousand eight hundred and sixty-seven, we the undersigned      priest interred in the cemetery the body of Patrick Lavell, son of Patrick Lavell and deceased Eleonora Monahon of this      parish, deceased two days previous, aged about twenty-three years.  Present Francis Monahan and Patrick Lavell who      could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey

3.      Patrick Lavell:  On the thirty first day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-six, we the undersigned      priest baptized Patrick, born the day previous of the lawful marriage of James Lavell, farmer and Mary Sullivan of this      parish.  The sponsors Martin Phelan and Bridgit Stapleton as also the father could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey

4.      Catherine Lavell:  On the thirty first day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-eight, we the undersigned      priest baptized Catherine, born the day previous of the lawful marriage of Peter Lavell, farmer and Marian McGarr of      this parish.  The sponsors Matthew McGarr and Elizabeth McGarr, as also the father could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey

Elizabeth Lavell:  On the nineteenth day of April, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, we the undersigned      priest baptized Elizabeth, born three day previous of the lawful marriage of Peter Lavell, farmer and Marian McGarr of      this parish.  The sponsors Stephen McCarthy and Jane McGarr, as also the father could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey
     Missing James copy of birth certificat.

Matthew Lavell:  On the second day of January, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-seven, we the undersigned      priest baptized Matthew, born the day previous of the lawful marriage of Peter Lavell, farmer and Marian McGarr of      this parish.  The sponsors Matthew McGarr and Rosanna McGarr, as also the father could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey
     Mary ann Lavell:  On the fifteenth day of April, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-nine, we the undersigned      priest baptized Mary Ann, born the day previous, daughter, of the lawful marriage of Peter Lavell, farmer and Marian      McGarr of this parish.  The sponsors Martin Phelan dn Catherine Phelan undersigned.  The father and godfather could not      sign.
                                                                 Catherine Phelan                  Father Fitzpatrick

According to the 1881 census:

(I was right, in this census, Honora/Eleonora is living with her parents. They were still living in St. Columban.  I believe they moved away in 1888.  This was the time Honora/Eleanora moved in with her grandparents)

Peter LAVELLE                    M        Male         Irish         40         Ireland         Farmer         Catholic
Mary Ann LAVELLE              M        Female         Irish         40         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Catherine LAVELLE                      Female         Irish         13         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Honora LAVELLE                            Female         Irish         11         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Elizabeth LAVELLE                      Female         Irish         8         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
James LAVELLE                            Male         Irish         6         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Mathew LAVELLE                            Male         Irish         4         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Mary Ann LAVELLE                      Female         Irish         2         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic

Source Information:
       Census Place      Ste-Colomban, Deux-Montagnes, Quebec
     Family History Library Film        1375859
     NA Film Number        C-13223
     District        95
     Sub-district        L
     Page Number        1
     Household Number        4

According to the 1901 census:

Lowell Peter      M              Head            M                              60
Lowell Mary A.      F              Wife            M      Mar 18      1843      58
Lowell James      M              Son            S      Aug 7      1874      26
Lowell Matthew      M              Son            S      Jan 1      1877      24
Lowell Agnes      F              Daughter      S      Nov 3      1885      15
Matthews Percy      M              Nephew      S      May        1895      5
Matthews Joseph      M              Nephew      S      Jul 13      1897      3

Source Information:
1901 Census of Canada
Subdistrict:      Wakefield & Denholm, WRIGHT, QUEBEC
District Number:      200
Subdistrict Number:      x-2
Archives Microfilm:      T-6550

Another thing to note, Eleanora Monahan had a sister Mary who was married to Denis O'Leary and a brother Francis married to Elizabeth Madden.  

Eleanora and Patrick Lavelle/Mary and Denis O'Leary were already married when they arrived in Montreal.

The O'Leary family was from co. Cork, Ireland.  This could be a clue as to where the Monohan/Lavelle connection is.  Lso, there are other Lavelle family members from Co. Mayo.

Do you know where Patrick is buried?  Perhaps it would indicate where in Ireland he was from.  Most of the Irish people in St. Columban were from Armagh, Kilkenny, Westmeath and Tipperary.

Hope this helps,

Kelley O'Rourke

Hi Eileen,

I am one of the researchers/descendents of St. Columban.  I have some information I found to share with you regarding your family.  There is a bit of mystery attached to your family as well (see Honora/Eleanora Lavell).  Perhaps you have the answers.  Lavell/Lavelle/Lowell

According to Father Forget's records he has your family grouped accordingly:

1.      Lavell, Honora/Eleonora born in 1871 (no records of her birth in St. Columban) orphaned and living with Matthew McGarr      in 1888.  (Her parents were Peter Lavell and Marian McGarr.  I don't know why she would have been sent to live with her      grandparents or maybe even volunteered.  My hunch is the parents left St. Columban at this time and she wanted to      remain.)  

2.      Patrick Lavell and Eleonora Monahan (she was buried August 24, 1862, St. Columban cemetery)
     - Patrick born in 1844 and was buried July 27, 1867, St. Columban cemetery)
     - Peter was married March 5 1867 to Marian/Mary Ann McGarr

3.      James Lavell and Mary Sullivan
     - Patrick was baptized January 31, 1866

4.      Peter Lavell and Marian/Mary Ann McGarr (Matthew McGarr and Catherine Williams)
     - Catherine baptized January 31, 1868
     - Elizabeth baptized April 19, 1873
     - James baptized August 9, 1874
     - Matthew baptized January 2, 1877
     - Mary Ann baptized April 15, 1879  she married Joseph Williams Sept. 28, 1950 in St. Columban.
     - Mary Jane born in Montreal, St. Ann's parish April 20, 1882(The name in the parish register is now Lowell and Peter      is listed as a labourer) Mary Jane is not in Father Forget's book.

According to the St. Columban microfilm:

2.      Eleonora Monahan Lavell:  On the twenty fourth day of August one thousand eight hundred and sixty-two, we the      undersigned priest interred in the cemetery the body of Eleonora Monahan, deceased two days previous, aged about fifty      years, wife of Patrick Lavell, farmer of this parish. Present Patrick Lavell and James Lavell who could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey

Patrick Lavell:  On the twenty seventh day of July one thousand eight hundred and sixty-seven, we the undersigned      priest interred in the cemetery the body of Patrick Lavell, son of Patrick Lavell and deceased Eleonora Monahon of this      parish, deceased two days previous, aged about twenty-three years.  Present Francis Monahan and Patrick Lavell who      could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey

3.      Patrick Lavell:  On the thirty first day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-six, we the undersigned      priest baptized Patrick, born the day previous of the lawful marriage of James Lavell, farmer and Mary Sullivan of this      parish.  The sponsors Martin Phelan and Bridgit Stapleton as also the father could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey

4.      Catherine Lavell:  On the thirty first day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-eight, we the undersigned      priest baptized Catherine, born the day previous of the lawful marriage of Peter Lavell, farmer and Marian McGarr of      this parish.  The sponsors Matthew McGarr and Elizabeth McGarr, as also the father could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey

Elizabeth Lavell:  On the nineteenth day of April, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, we the undersigned      priest baptized Elizabeth, born three day previous of the lawful marriage of Peter Lavell, farmer and Marian McGarr of      this parish.  The sponsors Stephen McCarthy and Jane McGarr, as also the father could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey
     Missing James copy of birth certificat.

Matthew Lavell:  On the second day of January, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-seven, we the undersigned      priest baptized Matthew, born the day previous of the lawful marriage of Peter Lavell, farmer and Marian McGarr of      this parish.  The sponsors Matthew McGarr and Rosanna McGarr, as also the father could not sign.
                                                                                               Father Falvey
     Mary ann Lavell:  On the fifteenth day of April, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-nine, we the undersigned      priest baptized Mary Ann, born the day previous, daughter, of the lawful marriage of Peter Lavell, farmer and Marian      McGarr of this parish.  The sponsors Martin Phelan dn Catherine Phelan undersigned.  The father and godfather could not      sign.
                                                                 Catherine Phelan                  Father Fitzpatrick

According to the 1881 census:

(I was right, in this census, Honora/Eleonora is living with her parents. They were still living in St. Columban.  I believe they moved away in 1888.  This was the time Honora/Eleanora moved in with her grandparents)

Peter LAVELLE                    M        Male         Irish         40         Ireland         Farmer         Catholic
Mary Ann LAVELLE              M        Female         Irish         40         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Catherine LAVELLE                      Female         Irish         13         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Honora LAVELLE                            Female         Irish         11         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Elizabeth LAVELLE                      Female         Irish         8         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
James LAVELLE                            Male         Irish         6         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Mathew LAVELLE                            Male         Irish         4         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic
Mary Ann LAVELLE                      Female         Irish         2         Q <Quebec>                 Catholic

Source Information:
       Census Place      Ste-Colomban, Deux-Montagnes, Quebec
     Family History Library Film        1375859
     NA Film Number        C-13223
     District        95
     Sub-district        L
     Page Number        1
     Household Number        4

According to the 1901 census:

Lowell Peter      M              Head            M                              60
Lowell Mary A.      F              Wife            M      Mar 18      1843      58
Lowell James      M              Son            S      Aug 7      1874      26
Lowell Matthew      M              Son            S      Jan 1      1877      24
Lowell Agnes      F              Daughter      S      Nov 3      1885      15
Matthews Percy      M              Nephew      S      May        1895      5
Matthews Joseph      M              Nephew      S      Jul 13      1897      3

Source Information:
1901 Census of Canada
Subdistrict:      Wakefield & Denholm, WRIGHT, QUEBEC
District Number:      200
Subdistrict Number:      x-2
Archives Microfilm:      T-6550

Another thing to note, Eleanora Monahan had a sister Mary who was married to Denis O'Leary and a brother Francis married to Elizabeth Madden.  

Eleanora and Patrick Lavelle/Mary and Denis O'Leary were already married when they arrived in Montreal.

The O'Leary family was from co. Cork, Ireland.  This could be a clue as to where the Monohan/Lavelle connection is.  Lso, there are other Lavelle family members from Co. Mayo.

Do you know where Patrick is buried?  Perhaps it would indicate where in Ireland he was from.  Most of the Irish people in St. Columban were from Armagh, Kilkenny, Westmeath and Tipperary.

Hope this helps,

Kelley O'Rourke
Dec. 29/30, 1869 at St. Jerome parish
I found this, baptism, Leonard Lowell, son of Peter Lowell and Mary Ann McGar

GP: Emery Lafantaisie and Elisabeth Philan.

This is from a CD- BMS 2000-V9

Another one of their sons

Kelley
Dec. 29/30, 1869 at St. Jerome parish
I found this, baptism, Leonard Lowell, son of Peter Lowell and Mary Ann McGar

GP: Emery Lafantaisie and Elisabeth Philan.

This is from a CD- BMS 2000-V9

Another one of their sons

Kelley
Hi Kelly

Thank you so much.  There's important information here that I didn't have.  I wasn't aware that Eleanora and Patrick arrived here through Montreal.  I had come across Francis Monahan but didn't know he was her brother.  Also the clue about Co. Cork and Co. Mayo narrows it down a whole lot and gives me an area to start searching in Ireland.  You've also narrowed down the date that they left St. Columban. and added a couple of new children for Peter Lowell and Mary Ann McGarr.

Patrick in buried in St. Martin's Cemetery in Low, Quebec.  He's listed on a monument there as one of the first Irish to settle in the area but nothing listed as to where he came from in Ireland.

Many Many Thanks
Eileen   Smile Smile  Tried to add a smiley, don't think it worked.
Hi Kelly

Thank you so much.  There's important information here that I didn't have.  I wasn't aware that Eleanora and Patrick arrived here through Montreal.  I had come across Francis Monahan but didn't know he was her brother.  Also the clue about Co. Cork and Co. Mayo narrows it down a whole lot and gives me an area to start searching in Ireland.  You've also narrowed down the date that they left St. Columban. and added a couple of new children for Peter Lowell and Mary Ann McGarr.

Patrick in buried in St. Martin's Cemetery in Low, Quebec.  He's listed on a monument there as one of the first Irish to settle in the area but nothing listed as to where he came from in Ireland.

Many Many Thanks
Eileen   Smile Smile  Tried to add a smiley, don't think it worked.