McAndrew - Two Mountain 1851 census

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi I am trying to find out information about John McAndrew born 1801 Ireland, living in Two Mountain as a farmer according to the 1851 census.

His Wife is Mary - Ireland
Son - Thomas
Daughter - Margaret
Daughter - Mary

I am trying to find out information about Margaret born 1837.  My g-g-grandmother was Margaret McAndrew and she hailed from Canada with Irish born parents.  She married in Toronto, York in 1856 and immigrated to New York with her husband Henry Williams and infant daughter Martha. They are found in New York, Richmond County in 1859.

Margarets death certificate in NY stated parents "unknown" so I have been looking for her for years.  She did have a brother Thomas so I wonder if this is in fact my Margaret.

I certainly would appreciate any help or direction.  Thank you very much for your consideration.

Lynn Rogers - Staten Island New York  SICemetery@aol.com
Hi I am trying to find out information about John McAndrew born 1801 Ireland, living in Two Mountain as a farmer according to the 1851 census.

His Wife is Mary - Ireland
Son - Thomas
Daughter - Margaret
Daughter - Mary

I am trying to find out information about Margaret born 1837.  My g-g-grandmother was Margaret McAndrew and she hailed from Canada with Irish born parents.  She married in Toronto, York in 1856 and immigrated to New York with her husband Henry Williams and infant daughter Martha. They are found in New York, Richmond County in 1859.

Margarets death certificate in NY stated parents "unknown" so I have been looking for her for years.  She did have a brother Thomas so I wonder if this is in fact my Margaret.

I certainly would appreciate any help or direction.  Thank you very much for your consideration.

Lynn Rogers - Staten Island New York  SICemetery@aol.com
The reference to Margaret living in Richmond County in NY seems a bit suspect according to the 1860 US census where it lists her as being born in NY not Quebec. Maybe this is not the same family or it's just assumed by the census taker she was born in NY. Her age is listed as 23, Married to John Williams age 25, daughter Martha age 3.

There is a McAndrew family listed in the 1851 Canadian census records living in Grenville, Deux Montagnes County, Canada East (Quebec). Available on ancestry.com . Keep in mind Canada was divided by East and West or Upper and Lower Canada back then before confederation.

It lists the family as

John McAndrew 50 born in Ireland
Mary McAndrew 30 born in Ireland
Thomas McAndrew 10
Margaret McAndrew 13
Mary McAndrew 8
John McAndrew 6
Catherine McAndrew 2

There's a few McAndrew families that seem to be living side by side that's not uncommon back then for that area where families often lived in close proximity or one big farm was divided into smaller farms for siblings.

The reference to Margaret living in Richmond County in NY seems a bit suspect according to the 1860 US census where it lists her as being born in NY not Quebec. Maybe this is not the same family or it's just assumed by the census taker she was born in NY. Her age is listed as 23, Married to John Williams age 25, daughter Martha age 3.

There is a McAndrew family listed in the 1851 Canadian census records living in Grenville, Deux Montagnes County, Canada East (Quebec). Available on ancestry.com . Keep in mind Canada was divided by East and West or Upper and Lower Canada back then before confederation.

It lists the family as

John McAndrew 50 born in Ireland
Mary McAndrew 30 born in Ireland
Thomas McAndrew 10
Margaret McAndrew 13
Mary McAndrew 8
John McAndrew 6
Catherine McAndrew 2

There's a few McAndrew families that seem to be living side by side that's not uncommon back then for that area where families often lived in close proximity or one big farm was divided into smaller farms for siblings.

I have just now discovered this site and am very interested in any information about Deux Mountains or Grenville.  My GGgrandfather, James CARLIN lived next to the Mc Andrew family.  His son, Terrance, later moved to West Quebec at Mulgrave and there was a Mc Andrew family next to him as well.  I am still hunting for marriages between CARLINs and Mc ANDREW but concentrate more on CARLIN.  James CARLIN bought 200 acres at Grenville from his brother Terrance about 1835.  The property was at Range 10 Lot 4.  This is now the site of Carling Lake Golf and Resort. 
CARLIN,CARLING, DOHERTY, DWYER, BANNON, NEILON, DAVIS and MC ANDREW
I have just now discovered this site and am very interested in any information about Deux Mountains or Grenville.  My GGgrandfather, James CARLIN lived next to the Mc Andrew family.  His son, Terrance, later moved to West Quebec at Mulgrave and there was a Mc Andrew family next to him as well.  I am still hunting for marriages between CARLINs and Mc ANDREW but concentrate more on CARLIN.  James CARLIN bought 200 acres at Grenville from his brother Terrance about 1835.  The property was at Range 10 Lot 4.  This is now the site of Carling Lake Golf and Resort. 
CARLIN,CARLING, DOHERTY, DWYER, BANNON, NEILON, DAVIS and MC ANDREW