McCarthey; O'Neil; Duffy & Howard Families

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An e-mail received today...

This is a wonderful site!  I was thrilled to have found it.  I have been doing research on my St. Colomban families for many years and have also visited Claude Bourguignon in his home in St. Colomban.  My only wish is that one day I can read both of his books in English!  Are there any plans to extract obituaries from perhaps the Montreal newspapers for residents of St. Colomban?  My  St. Colomban families are:
[highlight]McCarthy, O'Neil, Duffy and Howard.
[/highlight]

Thank you for all the hard work by you and others.

Carole McCarty (mrsmc)
cam809@comcast.net

An e-mail received today...

This is a wonderful site!  I was thrilled to have found it.  I have been doing research on my St. Colomban families for many years and have also visited Claude Bourguignon in his home in St. Colomban.  My only wish is that one day I can read both of his books in English!  Are there any plans to extract obituaries from perhaps the Montreal newspapers for residents of St. Colomban?  My  St. Colomban families are:
[highlight]McCarthy, O'Neil, Duffy and Howard.
[/highlight]

Thank you for all the hard work by you and others.

Carole McCarty (mrsmc)
cam809@comcast.net

I would be interested to talk with Carole McCarthy since I also am related to a Denis McCarthy of St. Colomban. Denis was my Greatgrand Father married to Elizabeth Murphy. I am particularly looking for burial place . He died April 25, 1907 and there is no apparant information in St. Colomban. Looking to hear from you ,and anyone else, oninformation.
Don Connor(aloy) pierdon.connor@sympatico.ca
I would be interested to talk with Carole McCarthy since I also am related to a Denis McCarthy of St. Colomban. Denis was my Greatgrand Father married to Elizabeth Murphy. I am particularly looking for burial place . He died April 25, 1907 and there is no apparant information in St. Colomban. Looking to hear from you ,and anyone else, oninformation.
Don Connor(aloy) pierdon.connor@sympatico.ca
I am new to the site and am trying to track down Howards who lived in the area. James Henry Howard was born in 1860 and married Mary Ann Lacey at St. James the Lesser church in Eganville, Canada. He then ran a dry goods store in Montreal. Does anyone have any ideas if a Howard family was at St. Columban during this time frame? Thanks...Sue.cheney@me.com
I am new to the site and am trying to track down Howards who lived in the area. James Henry Howard was born in 1860 and married Mary Ann Lacey at St. James the Lesser church in Eganville, Canada. He then ran a dry goods store in Montreal. Does anyone have any ideas if a Howard family was at St. Columban during this time frame? Thanks...Sue.cheney@me.com
I found a record of a son born to this couple in Montreal, baptized at St Patricks church on 4 April 1889. You'll need an Ancestry.com subscription to see the record:

http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=drouinvitals&MS_AdvCB=1&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=2&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=james+henry&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=howard&gsln_x=XO&81004010__date_x=1&msbpn_x=XO&msbpn__ftp_x=1&81004030__date_x=1&msdpn_x=XO&msdpn__ftp_x=1&msrpn_x=XO&msrpn__ftp_x=1&81004020__date_x=1&_82004020-gpid_x=XO&_82004020__ftp_x=1&_8000C000_x=1&_80008000_x=1&_80018000_x=1&_80014000_x=1&_80010000_x=1&gskw_x=1&_83004002_x=1&cpxt=0&catBucket=rstp&uidh=p23&cp=0&pcat=34&fh=2&h=7891691&recoff=1+2+3
I found a record of a son born to this couple in Montreal, baptized at St Patricks church on 4 April 1889. You'll need an Ancestry.com subscription to see the record:

http://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=drouinvitals&MS_AdvCB=1&rank=1&new=1&MSAV=2&msT=1&gss=angs-d&gsfn=james+henry&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=howard&gsln_x=XO&81004010__date_x=1&msbpn_x=XO&msbpn__ftp_x=1&81004030__date_x=1&msdpn_x=XO&msdpn__ftp_x=1&msrpn_x=XO&msrpn__ftp_x=1&81004020__date_x=1&_82004020-gpid_x=XO&_82004020__ftp_x=1&_8000C000_x=1&_80008000_x=1&_80018000_x=1&_80014000_x=1&_80010000_x=1&gskw_x=1&_83004002_x=1&cpxt=0&catBucket=rstp&uidh=p23&cp=0&pcat=34&fh=2&h=7891691&recoff=1+2+3
Yes, there was a Howard family in St Columban and their seems to be a connection.  The family was headed by Jeremiah Howard who was married to Margaret (O)Keefe.  They had a son John. James Henry Howard's father was John who was married to Helen (Ellen) Kelly.  It definately appears that the John Howard who married Helen Kelly is the son of Jeremiah Howard and Margaret Keefe.  However, I cannot find their marriage which would prove the connection but the circumstanial evidence is quite strong. James is living with Margaret Keefe Howard and the Joseph Carroll/Catherine Howard family (my connection) in the 1881 census (his occupation is epicier or grocer).  Joseph Carroll and Catherine Howard are the Godparents to the last child of James Howard and Mary Ann Lacey-Kenny Anthony Howard.  Also, William Carroll, their son, is the Godfather to their first son Daniel James and Jeremiah Carroll, another son, is the Godfather to their third daughter, Theresa. John Howard's death record from Grenville, as was the custom, lists only the name of his wife (Mary Hughes, he remarried after Helen Kelly died). He died March 29, 1895 at 66 years old.  All the census records put his birth at 1829.  The 1851 census for St. Columban has that John Howard's birth at 1828.  The birth record for Jean Howard from Ste Scolastique (with the proper parents) lists his birth at about January 13, 1827.  It is not a perfect fit but very close.

James Henry Howard/Mary Ann Lacey

Mary            June 10, 1883    Montreal  married Donald McGibbon Sept. 28, 1920 in Vancouver, British Columbia
  Daniel James  January 4, 1885 Montreal  married Edith A. _____ lived in Brooklyn, NY 1920
  Ellen            March 28, 1887  Montreal
  James Henry  April 3, 1889      Montreal  married Katherine Driscoll May 25, 1917 in the Bronx, NY    lived in CA.
  Theresa        August 24, 1895  Montreal  married  _____ Houser    d. July 1, 1992 San Diego, CA
  Kenny Anthony March 12, 1898  Montreal                                  d. May 6, 1969 Los Angeles, CA

Also, there is a May 23, 1932 death certificate for James H. Howard in Nepean?, Ottawa, Carleton, Ontario.    Hope this helps.

Gregory Carroll

Yes, there was a Howard family in St Columban and their seems to be a connection.  The family was headed by Jeremiah Howard who was married to Margaret (O)Keefe.  They had a son John. James Henry Howard's father was John who was married to Helen (Ellen) Kelly.  It definately appears that the John Howard who married Helen Kelly is the son of Jeremiah Howard and Margaret Keefe.  However, I cannot find their marriage which would prove the connection but the circumstanial evidence is quite strong. James is living with Margaret Keefe Howard and the Joseph Carroll/Catherine Howard family (my connection) in the 1881 census (his occupation is epicier or grocer).  Joseph Carroll and Catherine Howard are the Godparents to the last child of James Howard and Mary Ann Lacey-Kenny Anthony Howard.  Also, William Carroll, their son, is the Godfather to their first son Daniel James and Jeremiah Carroll, another son, is the Godfather to their third daughter, Theresa. John Howard's death record from Grenville, as was the custom, lists only the name of his wife (Mary Hughes, he remarried after Helen Kelly died). He died March 29, 1895 at 66 years old.  All the census records put his birth at 1829.  The 1851 census for St. Columban has that John Howard's birth at 1828.  The birth record for Jean Howard from Ste Scolastique (with the proper parents) lists his birth at about January 13, 1827.  It is not a perfect fit but very close.

James Henry Howard/Mary Ann Lacey

Mary            June 10, 1883    Montreal  married Donald McGibbon Sept. 28, 1920 in Vancouver, British Columbia
  Daniel James  January 4, 1885 Montreal  married Edith A. _____ lived in Brooklyn, NY 1920
  Ellen            March 28, 1887  Montreal
  James Henry  April 3, 1889      Montreal  married Katherine Driscoll May 25, 1917 in the Bronx, NY    lived in CA.
  Theresa        August 24, 1895  Montreal  married  _____ Houser    d. July 1, 1992 San Diego, CA
  Kenny Anthony March 12, 1898  Montreal                                  d. May 6, 1969 Los Angeles, CA

Also, there is a May 23, 1932 death certificate for James H. Howard in Nepean?, Ottawa, Carleton, Ontario.    Hope this helps.

Gregory Carroll

To gcarroll: Regarding the Howard/Carroll family connection. Yes...You've got it for sure!! I have Catherine Howard as John Howard's sister. The other siblings I have are Anne, Pat, James and Dennis. James Henry was a grocer in Montreal after he moved there. Your list of my grandfather and siblings is exact. I do have some more information for you:
Mary died 5/13/1969 in Los Angeles. Children: Donalda and Lorna McGibbon (plus 3 other girls from her husband)
Ellen died in San Diego where she was living with her sister, Theresa
James Henry had one child: Kathryn Mary Howard Gray (My Mother). He died 6/18/1974 in Berkeley, Alameda County, California where he lived.
Theresa Melanie married Bernard Houser: no children
I am trying to get any other info I can on my great grandfather, James Henry. Family lore has it that he left his wife (Mary Ann Lacey) and children for another woman. They were eventually divorced. Mary Ann and Ellen and Tess moved to Edmonton to be with the oldest daughter, Mary, who had married Dr. McGibbon. Eventually, the all moved to southern California.
I am glad to meet you, if only on line...I guess we are very distant cousins.....
To gcarroll: Regarding the Howard/Carroll family connection. Yes...You've got it for sure!! I have Catherine Howard as John Howard's sister. The other siblings I have are Anne, Pat, James and Dennis. James Henry was a grocer in Montreal after he moved there. Your list of my grandfather and siblings is exact. I do have some more information for you:
Mary died 5/13/1969 in Los Angeles. Children: Donalda and Lorna McGibbon (plus 3 other girls from her husband)
Ellen died in San Diego where she was living with her sister, Theresa
James Henry had one child: Kathryn Mary Howard Gray (My Mother). He died 6/18/1974 in Berkeley, Alameda County, California where he lived.
Theresa Melanie married Bernard Houser: no children
I am trying to get any other info I can on my great grandfather, James Henry. Family lore has it that he left his wife (Mary Ann Lacey) and children for another woman. They were eventually divorced. Mary Ann and Ellen and Tess moved to Edmonton to be with the oldest daughter, Mary, who had married Dr. McGibbon. Eventually, the all moved to southern California.
I am glad to meet you, if only on line...I guess we are very distant cousins.....