St. Lawrence Steamboat Co. Passenger Records

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi St. Columbiners,

Since my wife?s immigrant Forrester(s?) arrived here in Canada somewhere before 1836, and there?s virtually nuthin? much to find on the ?Ships Lists? before 1865, I?ve taken to looking through the Ships Lists passenger lists for the ?St. Lawrence Steamboat Co. Passenger Records - Part l (1819 - 1825) & Part ll (1826-1836?) < http://theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/1819_20index.htm > ; - a listing of ?up-the-river? passengers from Quebec City to Three Rivers, Sorel and Montreal, just to see if by chance her family name Forrester might appear in those lists. The name does in fact appear, but, just as in any, or all other forms of name registrations in the distant past, it may also be simply appearing under the guise of many other similar sounding names, i.e.- Forrister, Forester, Forister, Forster, Forest, Foster, Forrestal, all of course dependent on the education, hearing and spelling abilities of the list maker of those times.
     Once in a while, while I?m going through these lists, I come across names that I semi-recognize as names I?ve seen in various sections of the St. Columban WebSite - for example - Phelan / Whelan, Skelly, ?etc ?, and I started to wonder if perhaps there may be some St. Columban researchers who are not aware of these alternate ?ships? passenger lists? as a possible useful tool in their Montreal / St. Columban research.
     Perhaps some family researchers are not aware that, back around the years mentioned above, not all our St. Columban immigrant ancestors may have actually ?first? landed in Montreal. It is very possible, if not more than likely, that in a lot of cases they ?first? landed in Quebec City, from where they would have either traveled overland, or (again) more than likely, by riverboats up to Three Rivers, Sorel and Montreal, and then on to St. Columban.
     For example, - On July 10, 1819, a ?John Skelling? (possible? Skelly?) traveled from Sorel to Montreal in Steerage on ticket #137 on the Riverboat ?Malsham?s ? 9th trip upriver for the grand total of 0?/ 3s./9d.
Note:- Canada not only didn?t change to dollars and cents until June 10, 1857, she would even come into existence for another 48 years.

Murray Q.
Hi St. Columbiners,

Since my wife?s immigrant Forrester(s?) arrived here in Canada somewhere before 1836, and there?s virtually nuthin? much to find on the ?Ships Lists? before 1865, I?ve taken to looking through the Ships Lists passenger lists for the ?St. Lawrence Steamboat Co. Passenger Records - Part l (1819 - 1825) & Part ll (1826-1836?) < http://theshipslist.com/ships/passengerlists/1819_20index.htm > ; - a listing of ?up-the-river? passengers from Quebec City to Three Rivers, Sorel and Montreal, just to see if by chance her family name Forrester might appear in those lists. The name does in fact appear, but, just as in any, or all other forms of name registrations in the distant past, it may also be simply appearing under the guise of many other similar sounding names, i.e.- Forrister, Forester, Forister, Forster, Forest, Foster, Forrestal, all of course dependent on the education, hearing and spelling abilities of the list maker of those times.
     Once in a while, while I?m going through these lists, I come across names that I semi-recognize as names I?ve seen in various sections of the St. Columban WebSite - for example - Phelan / Whelan, Skelly, ?etc ?, and I started to wonder if perhaps there may be some St. Columban researchers who are not aware of these alternate ?ships? passenger lists? as a possible useful tool in their Montreal / St. Columban research.
     Perhaps some family researchers are not aware that, back around the years mentioned above, not all our St. Columban immigrant ancestors may have actually ?first? landed in Montreal. It is very possible, if not more than likely, that in a lot of cases they ?first? landed in Quebec City, from where they would have either traveled overland, or (again) more than likely, by riverboats up to Three Rivers, Sorel and Montreal, and then on to St. Columban.
     For example, - On July 10, 1819, a ?John Skelling? (possible? Skelly?) traveled from Sorel to Montreal in Steerage on ticket #137 on the Riverboat ?Malsham?s ? 9th trip upriver for the grand total of 0?/ 3s./9d.
Note:- Canada not only didn?t change to dollars and cents until June 10, 1857, she would even come into existence for another 48 years.

Murray Q.
Hi, - for Fergus

Just found another one.
On July 22, 1819, a J.H. Keyes arrived in Montreal from Quebec City on steerage ticket #25 on the riverboat "Malsham's" 11th trip upriver.

Hi, - for Fergus

Just found another one.
On July 22, 1819, a J.H. Keyes arrived in Montreal from Quebec City on steerage ticket #25 on the riverboat "Malsham's" 11th trip upriver.

Hi Fergus,

Small correction. J.H. Keyes actually arrived at Sorel, not Montreal; his fare was 0?/7s./6d.

Murray Q.  
Hi Fergus,

Small correction. J.H. Keyes actually arrived at Sorel, not Montreal; his fare was 0?/7s./6d.

Murray Q.