Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi to Le Whole Crew,
     First , lemme say it was indeed a pleasure meeting all of you at the last meeting.

A couple of questions re Le Plan. I sees ya?ve come up with the possibility of a wall of ?local fieldstone? as an alternative to the ?old brick? that was mentioned at the meeting. Any particular reason for this? (and that?s not a complaint)  - i.e. - cheaper to collect free stone than buying bricks??? Is the present thinking that it might be easier embedding the tombstones into fieldstone than in brick?

At the meeting, I believe I mentioned that it might be a little difficult to embed flat-surfaced tombstones into a curved wall of bricks. I am now also wondering if that might prove to be even a little more awkward, or difficult, if the tombstones are to be mounted on both faces of the wall, especially if the walls are curved. Whether the wall is of 6? stone, or 4? brick, will it not be a bit tricky embedding tombstones on both sides of the wall, particularly if some of these broken tombstones are themselves 2? to 4? or even 6? thick? It would seem to me that, depending on the thicknesses of the tombstones, there may be instances where you will actually not be able to put them back-to-back into the wall if the wall isn?t thick enough. - i.e.- you may wind up with having to settle for some blank spaces on one side of the wall or the other simply because there may be enough thickness to the wall to accommodate what is proposed ? especially if brick were used. If I recall, standard brick is only about 4? across. One of the reasons I?m mentioning this, is that I assume that when we embed these tombstones in the wall, we won?t be wanting any edges protruding beyond the face of the wall, making it susceptible to the lunatic fringe picking or prying them out of the wall ?just for the fun of it?, or for souvenirs so-to-speak.

Also, I remember mentioning the possibility of maybe cheating a little on the four curved segmented sections of the wall such that instead of each section being an actual quarter curve, maybe ?each of those curved sections? could be made up of ?two slightly bent straight sections? which might make it, not only easier to mount the tombstones in it, but possibly easier to build. I know having ?two straight sections? instead for ?each quarter curve? may be considered cheating re the circular portion on a Celtic Cross, but I just thought that maybe the trade-off between tradition and a little creativity might be acceptable if it allows us to more easily construct this monument.

And please note - all polite criticisms & curses accepted in the same good humour our ancestors were noted for ? well, at least most of them.  

Regards, - Murray Quinn
Hi to Le Whole Crew,
     First , lemme say it was indeed a pleasure meeting all of you at the last meeting.

A couple of questions re Le Plan. I sees ya?ve come up with the possibility of a wall of ?local fieldstone? as an alternative to the ?old brick? that was mentioned at the meeting. Any particular reason for this? (and that?s not a complaint)  - i.e. - cheaper to collect free stone than buying bricks??? Is the present thinking that it might be easier embedding the tombstones into fieldstone than in brick?

At the meeting, I believe I mentioned that it might be a little difficult to embed flat-surfaced tombstones into a curved wall of bricks. I am now also wondering if that might prove to be even a little more awkward, or difficult, if the tombstones are to be mounted on both faces of the wall, especially if the walls are curved. Whether the wall is of 6? stone, or 4? brick, will it not be a bit tricky embedding tombstones on both sides of the wall, particularly if some of these broken tombstones are themselves 2? to 4? or even 6? thick? It would seem to me that, depending on the thicknesses of the tombstones, there may be instances where you will actually not be able to put them back-to-back into the wall if the wall isn?t thick enough. - i.e.- you may wind up with having to settle for some blank spaces on one side of the wall or the other simply because there may be enough thickness to the wall to accommodate what is proposed ? especially if brick were used. If I recall, standard brick is only about 4? across. One of the reasons I?m mentioning this, is that I assume that when we embed these tombstones in the wall, we won?t be wanting any edges protruding beyond the face of the wall, making it susceptible to the lunatic fringe picking or prying them out of the wall ?just for the fun of it?, or for souvenirs so-to-speak.

Also, I remember mentioning the possibility of maybe cheating a little on the four curved segmented sections of the wall such that instead of each section being an actual quarter curve, maybe ?each of those curved sections? could be made up of ?two slightly bent straight sections? which might make it, not only easier to mount the tombstones in it, but possibly easier to build. I know having ?two straight sections? instead for ?each quarter curve? may be considered cheating re the circular portion on a Celtic Cross, but I just thought that maybe the trade-off between tradition and a little creativity might be acceptable if it allows us to more easily construct this monument.

And please note - all polite criticisms & curses accepted in the same good humour our ancestors were noted for ? well, at least most of them.  

Regards, - Murray Quinn

Messages In This Thread
Re: Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure - by Murray_Quinn - 05-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Re: Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure - by jeff.legault - 05-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Re: Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure - by kneil - 05-29-2006, 11:18 AM