Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As I look at the drawing and read Murray's posting, I wonder if we only intended to embed the broken markers in the straight sections of the cross and save the curved sections to engrave the names of those without markers? Or were we looking at another monument to engrave the names? This could cost a lot more than our intial target of $25,000 but that should not necessarily be a limiting factor.

We would likely require an engineer and maybe even an architech to gain approval by the municipality for conformance to the building code to ensure it's safe and legal but I am not familiar with the requirements in that region.

I was also thinking about how well received this monument will be by the existing Francophone community in the area. I'm a little bit biased from my mixed French-Irish culture but I wonder if there are any French settlers in the cemetery that would also be without markers? My French ancestoirs also lived the Laurentians by coincidence. It could help us to reach a common goal to remember ALL the ancestors of St. Columban and perhaps gain better financial backing.

Like Murray these are just friendly ideas for discussion.
As I look at the drawing and read Murray's posting, I wonder if we only intended to embed the broken markers in the straight sections of the cross and save the curved sections to engrave the names of those without markers? Or were we looking at another monument to engrave the names? This could cost a lot more than our intial target of $25,000 but that should not necessarily be a limiting factor.

We would likely require an engineer and maybe even an architech to gain approval by the municipality for conformance to the building code to ensure it's safe and legal but I am not familiar with the requirements in that region.

I was also thinking about how well received this monument will be by the existing Francophone community in the area. I'm a little bit biased from my mixed French-Irish culture but I wonder if there are any French settlers in the cemetery that would also be without markers? My French ancestoirs also lived the Laurentians by coincidence. It could help us to reach a common goal to remember ALL the ancestors of St. Columban and perhaps gain better financial backing.

Like Murray these are just friendly ideas for discussion.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure - by jeff.legault - 05-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Re: Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure - by kneil - 05-29-2006, 11:18 AM