Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
While I'm not totally convinced that a Celtic Cross is the way to go, for reasons previously mentioned, I think that the design by Fergus' nephew does look good. I calculate that we would require approx. 125 lin. ft. of wall to accomodate the 30 broken headstones and 18 granite plaques, and the design easily does that.

The choice of materials, whether it be brick, stone or something else, the color and texture, should be made to blend in with the area. All Murray's comments ie. flat panels in curved walls, wall thickness etc. are valid. As the project  gets bigger and more technical it is certain that we will need an engineer to finalize and sign off on the design. As for the cost it is going to be considerably more than that of a straight wall.

The question is do we have enough space to construct it without encroaching on the existiing graves? Do we know for certain that there are no unmarked graves in that area? I hate the thought of unearthing one of our ancestor's remains.

Having said all that, it is certain that properly done this will be a very interestng  monument that would attract a lot of attention to St. Columban

Jeff's comments re the French settlers have some merit. Perhaps Claude can find out if there is a like minded local French group with whom we can join forces. Obviously to research and collect all the data would be an enormous task. Also there is the question of added costs.

Speaking of costs, I think we should start looking at ways to raise money. At the last meeting not much was said. I believe that Audrey was going to speak with Ned re getting some sponsors for the January show. Is there any progress there?
I think that these types of events have to be planned well in advance, as we know tempus fugit.
Another possibility would be to sell relevant items on line ( our web site, e-bay) for example baseball caps, t shirts, sweatshirts. etc. Any one out there got  contacts for these items? Also Irish records ( Audrey's son's band), books and  Kelley's cemetery research, in book form or CD.
At the  meeting in January Kelley started to mention a picnic in St. Columban, but it got lost in the shuffle. Can we turn that idea into a money making event?

Ideas, comments anyone?

Cheers  Ken

While I'm not totally convinced that a Celtic Cross is the way to go, for reasons previously mentioned, I think that the design by Fergus' nephew does look good. I calculate that we would require approx. 125 lin. ft. of wall to accomodate the 30 broken headstones and 18 granite plaques, and the design easily does that.

The choice of materials, whether it be brick, stone or something else, the color and texture, should be made to blend in with the area. All Murray's comments ie. flat panels in curved walls, wall thickness etc. are valid. As the project  gets bigger and more technical it is certain that we will need an engineer to finalize and sign off on the design. As for the cost it is going to be considerably more than that of a straight wall.

The question is do we have enough space to construct it without encroaching on the existiing graves? Do we know for certain that there are no unmarked graves in that area? I hate the thought of unearthing one of our ancestor's remains.

Having said all that, it is certain that properly done this will be a very interestng  monument that would attract a lot of attention to St. Columban

Jeff's comments re the French settlers have some merit. Perhaps Claude can find out if there is a like minded local French group with whom we can join forces. Obviously to research and collect all the data would be an enormous task. Also there is the question of added costs.

Speaking of costs, I think we should start looking at ways to raise money. At the last meeting not much was said. I believe that Audrey was going to speak with Ned re getting some sponsors for the January show. Is there any progress there?
I think that these types of events have to be planned well in advance, as we know tempus fugit.
Another possibility would be to sell relevant items on line ( our web site, e-bay) for example baseball caps, t shirts, sweatshirts. etc. Any one out there got  contacts for these items? Also Irish records ( Audrey's son's band), books and  Kelley's cemetery research, in book form or CD.
At the  meeting in January Kelley started to mention a picnic in St. Columban, but it got lost in the shuffle. Can we turn that idea into a money making event?

Ideas, comments anyone?

Cheers  Ken

Messages In This Thread
Re: Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure - by jeff.legault - 05-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Re: Initial Plan for Cemtery Structure - by kneil - 05-29-2006, 11:18 AM