St. Colomban / St. Columbin / St. Columban

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Fergus &/or Jeff,

I noticed the Mar 17th topic re the "AKA names" of St. Columban, i.e. - St. Columb*i*n & St. Col*o*mban, and was wondering if it would not be an idea to have these other two spellings also listed "up front" so-to-speak, (perhaps in smaller font), below the current Home Page title name "St. Columban- Irish". The reason I point this out is that, just as some, (or maybe it's many? - who knows?), novice genealogists probably sometimes miss out on important family "name connections" simply because a family name was not immediately recognized due to a slight, or gross, mispelling of the name, is it not also possible that, simply because a researcher has one or the other "alternate names" of St. Columban in mind, or on a document, that he/she may not make that simple little connection which would allow them to realize that "HEY! - Maybe this place name is spelt differently"?

For Fergus &/or Jeff,

I noticed the Mar 17th topic re the "AKA names" of St. Columban, i.e. - St. Columb*i*n & St. Col*o*mban, and was wondering if it would not be an idea to have these other two spellings also listed "up front" so-to-speak, (perhaps in smaller font), below the current Home Page title name "St. Columban- Irish". The reason I point this out is that, just as some, (or maybe it's many? - who knows?), novice genealogists probably sometimes miss out on important family "name connections" simply because a family name was not immediately recognized due to a slight, or gross, mispelling of the name, is it not also possible that, simply because a researcher has one or the other "alternate names" of St. Columban in mind, or on a document, that he/she may not make that simple little connection which would allow them to realize that "HEY! - Maybe this place name is spelt differently"?

Messages In This Thread
St. Colomban / St. Columbin / St. Columban - by Murray_Quinn - 04-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Re: St. Colomban / St. Columbin / St. Columban - by jeff.legault - 04-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Re: St. Colomban / St. Columbin / St. Columban - by dublin9 - 04-19-2006, 09:35 AM