General all round confusion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
     I wonder if someone can shed some light on the following topics and/or questions.

In ?St. Columban Lot Registrations ca.1823-1837?, there is an Andrew COWAN listed for Lot # 1017 for the year 1821 and ? ,
     in the document ?St. Columban Marriages 1836 > 1936? there is a June 13, 1836 marriage of a Mary PHELAN, widow of a Thomas Culletan to a Michael FARRELL.
     Then, on Apr. 20, 1840 there is a marriage of a Gregory (l) FORR*I*STER - Widower of Mary COWAN, to a Mary WHELAN (PHELAN?) - Widow of Michael FARRELL.
     Also, - in the complimentary Blanchfield document ?Baptisms, Deaths & Marriages 1837 > 1900?, the listing for the same above Apr. 30, 1840 marriage indicates the name FORR*I*STER with an *e* instead of an *i* and that his wife?s name is ?strictly? Mary WHELAN, with no further indication as to the possibility that her surname might have in fact been PHELAN.

Questions ???

Is there a possible connection between Andrew COWAN and Mary COWAN? ?Could he have been her first husband?, a brother?, or cousin maybe?
     If the marriage of Gregory FORR*I*STER to Mary COWAN is not listed in the St. Scholastique Parish records for 1825 > 1837, does anyone have any suggestion(s) as to where to look for this marriage?
     Is the Mary PHELAN married to Michael FARRELL on June 13, 1836 the same person listed as Mary WHELAN, widow of Michael Farrell, who married Gregory (l) Forr*i*ster on Apr. 30, 1840? - i.e. - did she, or did she not, change her name from PHELAN to WHELAN between her 2nd and 3rd marriages?, or, are the two couples mentioned above - i.e. - Mary WHALEN & Michael FARRELL ?and? Mary PHALEN & Michael FARRELL actually two separate and distinct couples?
     Why would the document ?St. Columban Marriages 1836 > 1936? list the FORR*I*STER / W? (P?)HELAN marriage as Apr. ?30?, 1840, while the Blanchfield ?Baptisms, Deaths & Marriages 1837 > 1900? listing indicate it as being Apr. ?20?, 1840? How do I qualify which date is correct?
     In the above, if one list indicates marriages from ?1836 > 1936? and the other from ?1837 > 1900?, were both of these lists transcribed from the same document(s)?
     If the above two documents have in fact been transcribed from two different documents, what is the actual name(s) of, and origin of, both these documents.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?And that's only the beginning of my troubles.

Murray Quinn
     I wonder if someone can shed some light on the following topics and/or questions.

In ?St. Columban Lot Registrations ca.1823-1837?, there is an Andrew COWAN listed for Lot # 1017 for the year 1821 and ? ,
     in the document ?St. Columban Marriages 1836 > 1936? there is a June 13, 1836 marriage of a Mary PHELAN, widow of a Thomas Culletan to a Michael FARRELL.
     Then, on Apr. 20, 1840 there is a marriage of a Gregory (l) FORR*I*STER - Widower of Mary COWAN, to a Mary WHELAN (PHELAN?) - Widow of Michael FARRELL.
     Also, - in the complimentary Blanchfield document ?Baptisms, Deaths & Marriages 1837 > 1900?, the listing for the same above Apr. 30, 1840 marriage indicates the name FORR*I*STER with an *e* instead of an *i* and that his wife?s name is ?strictly? Mary WHELAN, with no further indication as to the possibility that her surname might have in fact been PHELAN.

Questions ???

Is there a possible connection between Andrew COWAN and Mary COWAN? ?Could he have been her first husband?, a brother?, or cousin maybe?
     If the marriage of Gregory FORR*I*STER to Mary COWAN is not listed in the St. Scholastique Parish records for 1825 > 1837, does anyone have any suggestion(s) as to where to look for this marriage?
     Is the Mary PHELAN married to Michael FARRELL on June 13, 1836 the same person listed as Mary WHELAN, widow of Michael Farrell, who married Gregory (l) Forr*i*ster on Apr. 30, 1840? - i.e. - did she, or did she not, change her name from PHELAN to WHELAN between her 2nd and 3rd marriages?, or, are the two couples mentioned above - i.e. - Mary WHALEN & Michael FARRELL ?and? Mary PHALEN & Michael FARRELL actually two separate and distinct couples?
     Why would the document ?St. Columban Marriages 1836 > 1936? list the FORR*I*STER / W? (P?)HELAN marriage as Apr. ?30?, 1840, while the Blanchfield ?Baptisms, Deaths & Marriages 1837 > 1900? listing indicate it as being Apr. ?20?, 1840? How do I qualify which date is correct?
     In the above, if one list indicates marriages from ?1836 > 1936? and the other from ?1837 > 1900?, were both of these lists transcribed from the same document(s)?
     If the above two documents have in fact been transcribed from two different documents, what is the actual name(s) of, and origin of, both these documents.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?And that's only the beginning of my troubles.

Murray Quinn

Messages In This Thread
General all round confusion - by Murray_Quinn - 04-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Re: General all round confusion - by marylund - 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Re: General all round confusion - by Murray_Quinn - 04-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Re: General all round confusion - by marylund - 04-29-2009, 10:29 AM