Web Page Update Notes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Everyone (Sent by e-mail & added here in case you are not on our e-mail list!)

More web page updates on the St. Columban Site at www.stcolumban-irish.com

I thought that we would run out of things to add to our site. But au contraire, we just keep on getting more and more interesting information. Jeff Legault, has over the past week (working night and day)  been adding tidbits, here and there, on the site and if you haven?t visited this week you may have missed them. You might have missed some of them even if you have visited the site!

So here is a fast overview of some of the additions:-

Under Researchers

In this area, we have added a little note about the discussion page. As well we have added the names of the families being researched under the researcher?s name. If I missed adding your family interest, please send me another e-mail with the details:- fergus@stcolumban-irish.com (or if you wanted your name added to the list)

Under Maps

In this area, thanks to Bill Weiler we have listed the names of the original settlers, the lot number and the year of purchase. We included the title Names and Lot numbers 1799 ? 1830. (There are few names missing since the records are not available at this time.)

Under Memories & Family Histories

a)      We included some pictures from the St. Patrick?s Day Parade to add to the little video already posted

b)      At the bottom of the page, we changed the title from Famous People to ?Successful and Well-Known? which we think better reflects these people. We have also added Dr. Cornelius Phelan to this list. ? (Interesting Man).

Under Published Articles

a)      We have added the Ottawa Citizen article (we have permission to post this article for the next 6 months)
b)      We also made a note about J.P. Leger?s Cemetery Book
c)      We will add the information soon on ?Naming the Laurentians? by Joseph Graham -  www.ballyhoo.ca/books

And watch for an announcement about Claude Bourguignon?s new updated St. Columban book coming soon!!!  ? probably within the next few weeks

Under Photos:

In this area, Jeff has started to present the pictures in a new format. Click on the picture for additional details. Really neat !!!

In Gallery 8 ? we have added more Carroll-Kenna Pictures (thanks to Patrick Delaney) and it includes some interesting info. about John ?Jack? Carroll and his untimely death in Lachute.

In Gallery 9 ? We have added some new photos about the McLaughlin (Delaney & Casey) thanks to Anne McLaughlin

In Photo Identification, - We have added a new Mystery Photo that we hope to identify

Under Restoration

In the Donation area, we have raised the thermometer to $ 2500. (10% of our target) and acknowledge the new donors.

Under Grave Markers

We added some stuff with lots more interesting stuff to come thanks to Kelley !

Under Links

We added links to Morin Heights; Notre Dame des Neiges Cemetery; and the Montreal Irish Radio Show

Under Discussion Forum

Here we have about 45 information posts and have now about 22 members. If you haven?t registered in this area, you should. Jeff has made it really easy to register with a section in red at the top of the page. It has a lot of bells and whistles ? you can check off to be informed by e-mail of a new post; you can send a message directly to another member in the Forum etc.. Just a quick note of inter-communications between two members ? if it has to do with family history please post it in the forum since the purpose is to share information and you never know when another member can offer helpful information.

So that?s it for now ? Unless Jeff?..I missed  something!

Fergus
Hi Everyone (Sent by e-mail & added here in case you are not on our e-mail list!)

More web page updates on the St. Columban Site at www.stcolumban-irish.com

I thought that we would run out of things to add to our site. But au contraire, we just keep on getting more and more interesting information. Jeff Legault, has over the past week (working night and day)  been adding tidbits, here and there, on the site and if you haven?t visited this week you may have missed them. You might have missed some of them even if you have visited the site!

So here is a fast overview of some of the additions:-

Under Researchers

In this area, we have added a little note about the discussion page. As well we have added the names of the families being researched under the researcher?s name. If I missed adding your family interest, please send me another e-mail with the details:- fergus@stcolumban-irish.com (or if you wanted your name added to the list)

Under Maps

In this area, thanks to Bill Weiler we have listed the names of the original settlers, the lot number and the year of purchase. We included the title Names and Lot numbers 1799 ? 1830. (There are few names missing since the records are not available at this time.)

Under Memories & Family Histories

a)      We included some pictures from the St. Patrick?s Day Parade to add to the little video already posted

b)      At the bottom of the page, we changed the title from Famous People to ?Successful and Well-Known? which we think better reflects these people. We have also added Dr. Cornelius Phelan to this list. ? (Interesting Man).

Under Published Articles

a)      We have added the Ottawa Citizen article (we have permission to post this article for the next 6 months)
b)      We also made a note about J.P. Leger?s Cemetery Book
c)      We will add the information soon on ?Naming the Laurentians? by Joseph Graham -  www.ballyhoo.ca/books

And watch for an announcement about Claude Bourguignon?s new updated St. Columban book coming soon!!!  ? probably within the next few weeks

Under Photos:

In this area, Jeff has started to present the pictures in a new format. Click on the picture for additional details. Really neat !!!

In Gallery 8 ? we have added more Carroll-Kenna Pictures (thanks to Patrick Delaney) and it includes some interesting info. about John ?Jack? Carroll and his untimely death in Lachute.

In Gallery 9 ? We have added some new photos about the McLaughlin (Delaney & Casey) thanks to Anne McLaughlin

In Photo Identification, - We have added a new Mystery Photo that we hope to identify

Under Restoration

In the Donation area, we have raised the thermometer to $ 2500. (10% of our target) and acknowledge the new donors.

Under Grave Markers

We added some stuff with lots more interesting stuff to come thanks to Kelley !

Under Links

We added links to Morin Heights; Notre Dame des Neiges Cemetery; and the Montreal Irish Radio Show

Under Discussion Forum

Here we have about 45 information posts and have now about 22 members. If you haven?t registered in this area, you should. Jeff has made it really easy to register with a section in red at the top of the page. It has a lot of bells and whistles ? you can check off to be informed by e-mail of a new post; you can send a message directly to another member in the Forum etc.. Just a quick note of inter-communications between two members ? if it has to do with family history please post it in the forum since the purpose is to share information and you never know when another member can offer helpful information.

So that?s it for now ? Unless Jeff?..I missed  something!

Fergus
adding my reply here as well for future reference:

Man did I publish all that, no wonder I'm tired (he he)

I just added a few more pics from the St Patty's Parade as well as from the luncheon.
http://www.stcolumban-irish.com/Memories-Histories/index.html

Also added the new photo to the Carrol-Kenna photos that was mentioned in this message but I just completed that now for John ?Jack? Carroll.
http://www.stcolumban-irish.com/Photos/index.html

For behind the scenes what you don't see but helps to improve the web site:

Google Search
- we have improved our Google search page indexing from only 8 pages to 68 due to some technical steps I have built into the site as well as registering us in special way with Google for indexing. In summary it means people will be more likely to find the site when searching through Google.

Advertising
- I expanded the use of the small banner adds you now see on the left hand side of the main pages on the site. The goal here is just to offset or hopefully break even the hosting cost of the web site. We make a few pennies every time a page is loaded and if someone sees those ads. We make even more if they click on one and follow the ad. If we meet the hosting cost goal the rest is gravy for the site. So far we have only generated about $10 in a few days but this will improve as we get more hits. Same for the Google search box, the more it's used from our site the more we make.

Key Words
- embedded in the background programming of the page are specific key words that can trigger better results when surfers enter terms in search engines as well as improve how the search engine categorize the content of the web site. Think if it as one giant library catalogue system in some respects. The goal here is to make the web site pop-up to the very top or near the top of search results for specific topics so we get more visits.

I could go on here but have probably already bored most of you and I have to sleep eventually. Contact me anytime if you want to learn more.

Cheers
adding my reply here as well for future reference:

Man did I publish all that, no wonder I'm tired (he he)

I just added a few more pics from the St Patty's Parade as well as from the luncheon.
http://www.stcolumban-irish.com/Memories-Histories/index.html

Also added the new photo to the Carrol-Kenna photos that was mentioned in this message but I just completed that now for John ?Jack? Carroll.
http://www.stcolumban-irish.com/Photos/index.html

For behind the scenes what you don't see but helps to improve the web site:

Google Search
- we have improved our Google search page indexing from only 8 pages to 68 due to some technical steps I have built into the site as well as registering us in special way with Google for indexing. In summary it means people will be more likely to find the site when searching through Google.

Advertising
- I expanded the use of the small banner adds you now see on the left hand side of the main pages on the site. The goal here is just to offset or hopefully break even the hosting cost of the web site. We make a few pennies every time a page is loaded and if someone sees those ads. We make even more if they click on one and follow the ad. If we meet the hosting cost goal the rest is gravy for the site. So far we have only generated about $10 in a few days but this will improve as we get more hits. Same for the Google search box, the more it's used from our site the more we make.

Key Words
- embedded in the background programming of the page are specific key words that can trigger better results when surfers enter terms in search engines as well as improve how the search engine categorize the content of the web site. Think if it as one giant library catalogue system in some respects. The goal here is to make the web site pop-up to the very top or near the top of search results for specific topics so we get more visits.

I could go on here but have probably already bored most of you and I have to sleep eventually. Contact me anytime if you want to learn more.

Cheers