News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am saddened but not surprised by the vandalism described by Claude.This is something that has been happening for decades. Unfortunately, today it is much more violent and destructive. This probably can be explained by a youth that is more disenfranchised than ever before. I will leave the reasons to sociologists.

If I could get my hands on these kids, I know what I would like to do, but realisticaly  I could do nothing. They know their rights under our law and we are helpless to do anything. This gives them a swagger and arrogance which simply adds to the problem, and makes us angrier for the wrong reasons.

Well enough of that.

Joyce, this actually bodes well for our cemetery project. What it does is that it makes us cognizant of the fact that whatever we do, it has to be strong, definitve and lasting. This will help us eliminate some of the well meaning but weaker alternatives.

And to Kathy, I agree that a virtual cemetery should be developed and displayed on our web site. At the same time I believe that we have to have a permanent, strong monument to our ancestors in the St. Columban Cemetery. Something that we can visit, we can see, we can touch. This would be the tribute to our ancestors that a virtual cemetery could never accomplish.

To Fergus and Claude, the idea of getting the local school children involved is absolutely the way to go. The kids today have no idea of  their heritage.
Lets make them aware.

I'm not one for forum discussions, but I just had to make my feelings known after reading Claude's message. I encourage you all to respond.

Ken

I am saddened but not surprised by the vandalism described by Claude.This is something that has been happening for decades. Unfortunately, today it is much more violent and destructive. This probably can be explained by a youth that is more disenfranchised than ever before. I will leave the reasons to sociologists.

If I could get my hands on these kids, I know what I would like to do, but realisticaly  I could do nothing. They know their rights under our law and we are helpless to do anything. This gives them a swagger and arrogance which simply adds to the problem, and makes us angrier for the wrong reasons.

Well enough of that.

Joyce, this actually bodes well for our cemetery project. What it does is that it makes us cognizant of the fact that whatever we do, it has to be strong, definitve and lasting. This will help us eliminate some of the well meaning but weaker alternatives.

And to Kathy, I agree that a virtual cemetery should be developed and displayed on our web site. At the same time I believe that we have to have a permanent, strong monument to our ancestors in the St. Columban Cemetery. Something that we can visit, we can see, we can touch. This would be the tribute to our ancestors that a virtual cemetery could never accomplish.

To Fergus and Claude, the idea of getting the local school children involved is absolutely the way to go. The kids today have no idea of  their heritage.
Lets make them aware.

I'm not one for forum discussions, but I just had to make my feelings known after reading Claude's message. I encourage you all to respond.

Ken

Messages In This Thread
News - by claude_bourguignon - 05-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Re: News - by Joyce - 05-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Re: News - One idea anyway ... - by Fergus_Keyes - 05-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Re: News - by claude_bourguignon - 05-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Re: News - by marylund - 05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Re: News - by Fergus_Keyes - 05-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Re: News - by kneil - 05-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Re: News - by jeff.legault - 05-03-2006, 08:46 PM
St. Canut Cemetery Report - by Fergus_Keyes - 05-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Re: St Canut - by jeff.legault - 05-05-2006, 08:36 AM