News

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I took the opportunity of a nice day in Montreal yesterday (Thursday, May 4 2006) to drive by the Cemetery in St. Canut. I am pleased to report that the vandalism to this particular cemetery was somewhat minor compared to other similiar events. I could only find one tombstone (belonging to the Shea family of St. Columban) that had been broken and on the ground behind the Church. A large cross was also knocked over but this seems to be more part of the Cemetery overall.

I also met with the caretaker of the St. Canut cemetery and congratulated him on how clean and well kept it was. He said he had to take care of it since at his age he might be joining the other residents very soon! At any rate, he said that if anything falls over, he tries to put it back up right away and as far as he knew there were no other broken tombstones elsewhere around the cemetery.

I also took photos and recorded the inscriptions of any families stones that might be related to St. Columban. In additon to the Sheas -there were a couple of O'Rouke's; one Skeeley note; A number of O'Connors; some Murphy's that I believe were related to St. Columban; and, a Hoey and Donovan that I think are also related.

I also saw a number of Scheffer tombstones. This is name that I have seen around the area especially in Ste. Scholastique but I am not sure if they lived in St. Columban at any time. Is anyone researching the Schaffer family or does anyone know if they were residents of St. Columban??

That's it for now ....
I took the opportunity of a nice day in Montreal yesterday (Thursday, May 4 2006) to drive by the Cemetery in St. Canut. I am pleased to report that the vandalism to this particular cemetery was somewhat minor compared to other similiar events. I could only find one tombstone (belonging to the Shea family of St. Columban) that had been broken and on the ground behind the Church. A large cross was also knocked over but this seems to be more part of the Cemetery overall.

I also met with the caretaker of the St. Canut cemetery and congratulated him on how clean and well kept it was. He said he had to take care of it since at his age he might be joining the other residents very soon! At any rate, he said that if anything falls over, he tries to put it back up right away and as far as he knew there were no other broken tombstones elsewhere around the cemetery.

I also took photos and recorded the inscriptions of any families stones that might be related to St. Columban. In additon to the Sheas -there were a couple of O'Rouke's; one Skeeley note; A number of O'Connors; some Murphy's that I believe were related to St. Columban; and, a Hoey and Donovan that I think are also related.

I also saw a number of Scheffer tombstones. This is name that I have seen around the area especially in Ste. Scholastique but I am not sure if they lived in St. Columban at any time. Is anyone researching the Schaffer family or does anyone know if they were residents of St. Columban??

That's it for now ....

Messages In This Thread
News - by claude_bourguignon - 05-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Re: News - by Joyce - 05-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Re: News - One idea anyway ... - by Fergus_Keyes - 05-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Re: News - by claude_bourguignon - 05-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Re: News - by marylund - 05-03-2006, 05:31 PM
Re: News - by Fergus_Keyes - 05-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Re: News - by kneil - 05-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Re: News - by jeff.legault - 05-03-2006, 08:46 PM
St. Canut Cemetery Report - by Fergus_Keyes - 05-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Re: St Canut - by jeff.legault - 05-05-2006, 08:36 AM