Phelan family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My husband, Michael Taylor, is a descendant of the Brophy, Phelan, Elliot, Blanchfield and O'Brien families of the St. Columban area. We are planning to be in the area in the near future to visit the village, church, cemetery, etc.

I received a family group photo of members of the Phelan family from Steven Vollick. The family is posed on the front veranda of the frame home. At the bottom of the porch steps is a huge flat rock. I was wondering if anyone in the forum knows the whereabouts of this particular house or if it is even still in existence.

Thank you for any assistance with this.
My husband, Michael Taylor, is a descendant of the Brophy, Phelan, Elliot, Blanchfield and O'Brien families of the St. Columban area. We are planning to be in the area in the near future to visit the village, church, cemetery, etc.

I received a family group photo of members of the Phelan family from Steven Vollick. The family is posed on the front veranda of the frame home. At the bottom of the porch steps is a huge flat rock. I was wondering if anyone in the forum knows the whereabouts of this particular house or if it is even still in existence.

Thank you for any assistance with this.
Hi Jane, are you able to attach the photo to this thread or forward the photo to me via email and I'll attach it so the group can help to identify the location.

Jeff Legault
jeff.legault@rogers.com
Hi Jane, are you able to attach the photo to this thread or forward the photo to me via email and I'll attach it so the group can help to identify the location.

Jeff Legault
jeff.legault@rogers.com
Here's the photo courtesy of Steve Vollick if anyone can help identify where this was taken.

Attached Files
.jpg   The_Phelan_Family.jpg (Size: 490.59 KB / Downloads: 213)
Here's the photo courtesy of Steve Vollick if anyone can help identify where this was taken.

Attached Files
.jpg   The_Phelan_Family.jpg (Size: 490.59 KB / Downloads: 213)
I've just looked at the photo again online... clearer than my copy. That is not a rock but the extension of a carpet or quilt that is also on the steps. The pattern was not visible in my own printout.
I've just looked at the photo again online... clearer than my copy. That is not a rock but the extension of a carpet or quilt that is also on the steps. The pattern was not visible in my own printout.
I enhanced it a bit to make it clearer. I think you are right. Looks like a carpet. Claude our historian may have some background on this photo if we give him a few days to research his collection.
I enhanced it a bit to make it clearer. I think you are right. Looks like a carpet. Claude our historian may have some background on this photo if we give him a few days to research his collection.
Thanks Jeff
Thanks Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Any word from Claude? We will be in St. Colomban tomorrow (Saturday). I'll check this again later.
Jane
Hi Jeff,
Any word from Claude? We will be in St. Colomban tomorrow (Saturday). I'll check this again later.
Jane
If I had to guess the location of this photo it would be the old Phelan home right beside the cemetery across from the Church - but more toward the "cross-roads". When I was young - Gerald Phelan was the Postmaster and lived in this home which also served as the Post Office. He was also the Sheriff of St. Columban!

Unfortunately this home was taken down a few years ago, and it is the location of a new small shopping area with 5 or 6 stores that was just built this year.

But it is just my guess, and Claude could likely correct this comment if it is indeed at another location.

It is also the photo that we used on the cover of our DVD from our Irish event a few years ago...

Fergus
If I had to guess the location of this photo it would be the old Phelan home right beside the cemetery across from the Church - but more toward the "cross-roads". When I was young - Gerald Phelan was the Postmaster and lived in this home which also served as the Post Office. He was also the Sheriff of St. Columban!

Unfortunately this home was taken down a few years ago, and it is the location of a new small shopping area with 5 or 6 stores that was just built this year.

But it is just my guess, and Claude could likely correct this comment if it is indeed at another location.

It is also the photo that we used on the cover of our DVD from our Irish event a few years ago...

Fergus
Thanks for the information, Fergus. I have been in touch with Claude and he confirms what you say. Too bad Mike and I weren't there before the house was taken down.
Thanks for the information, Fergus. I have been in touch with Claude and he confirms what you say. Too bad Mike and I weren't there before the house was taken down.
Jane or anyone else who has been looking at this photo-- who do you think is in it?  I see names marked on some of the figures.  (Patrick, Julia, Joe)  Can anyone read the rest of the names?  Do we know which Patrick this is?  Or approximate year it was taken? 

I am attaching my family's mystery photo.  Some of you may have seen it already.  Any ideas who? when? on mine.  Thanks

Attached Files
.jpg   phelan clan in canada circa unknown.jpg (Size: 1.09 MB / Downloads: 199)
Jane or anyone else who has been looking at this photo-- who do you think is in it?  I see names marked on some of the figures.  (Patrick, Julia, Joe)  Can anyone read the rest of the names?  Do we know which Patrick this is?  Or approximate year it was taken? 

I am attaching my family's mystery photo.  Some of you may have seen it already.  Any ideas who? when? on mine.  Thanks

Attached Files
.jpg   phelan clan in canada circa unknown.jpg (Size: 1.09 MB / Downloads: 199)