Irish origins

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the Ottawa Citizen story about St. Columban I note that Claude Bourguignon was able to find the county of emigration in a land record (notarial, I assume) for Fergus's ancestor. Could he do that for anyone else - say myself?  Smile
I have James Walsh/ Welsh and Mary Griffin as the immigrant ancestors to St. Columban. With a name like WALSH any county in Ireland is a possibliity! Griffin is not too unusual either. They didn't stay long in St. Columban - just until about 1840 when they went to Ste. Marthe where this couple is buried.
Any hope?

In the Ottawa Citizen story about St. Columban I note that Claude Bourguignon was able to find the county of emigration in a land record (notarial, I assume) for Fergus's ancestor. Could he do that for anyone else - say myself?  Smile
I have James Walsh/ Welsh and Mary Griffin as the immigrant ancestors to St. Columban. With a name like WALSH any county in Ireland is a possibliity! Griffin is not too unusual either. They didn't stay long in St. Columban - just until about 1840 when they went to Ste. Marthe where this couple is buried.
Any hope?

Hi Kathy;

If Claude doesn't see this post himself, I will ask him to search his records when he has a chance, to see if he can answer your question.

Take Care,

Fergus
Hi Kathy;

If Claude doesn't see this post himself, I will ask him to search his records when he has a chance, to see if he can answer your question.

Take Care,

Fergus
Thank you, Fergus. I did get an email from Claude saying he might have some time this week. On Saturday I gave a talk about this family as a case study for tracing Irish in Canada. Finding a county would be icing on the cake!

Kathy
Thank you, Fergus. I did get an email from Claude saying he might have some time this week. On Saturday I gave a talk about this family as a case study for tracing Irish in Canada. Finding a county would be icing on the cake!

Kathy
Hello Kathy,

I am related to the Griffin family on my father's mother's side. They generally appear to have lived in the Granby area, prior to many later moving to Montreal. To my knowledge none of "my" Griffin group lived in St.Columban, although they did marry with some St.C. "graduates". Feel free to contact me at my Email: anne.mc@sympatico.ca. Thanks, Anne
Hello Kathy,

I am related to the Griffin family on my father's mother's side. They generally appear to have lived in the Granby area, prior to many later moving to Montreal. To my knowledge none of "my" Griffin group lived in St.Columban, although they did marry with some St.C. "graduates". Feel free to contact me at my Email: anne.mc@sympatico.ca. Thanks, Anne