Note from Irish Embassy in Ottawa

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't believe that many of our members were actually born in Ireland, however at the request of the Irish Embassy in Ottawa, I am posting the following just in case it is of interest to visitors to this forum:-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Irish Societies of Canada,

Please find attached herewith a press release from the Department of the Taoiseach from 30th April 2006, which the Embassy feels may be of interest to you and your members.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Tara Richey
Personal Assistant to Ambassador Burke
Embassy of Ireland
1105-130 Albert Street
Ottawa ON  K1P 5G4
tel no. (613) 233-6281 ext 223
fax no. (613) 233-5835
web site: www.irishembassyottawa.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press Release issued by Department of the Taoiseach, 30th April 2006

Centenarian?s Bounty to be extended following Government Approval.
Irish Citizens born in the Island of Ireland who live outside the State to benefit
The Government has approved in principle the extension of the scheme for the payment of the Centenarians? Bounty to any Irish citizen who was born in the Island of Ireland, regardless of where he or she may currently reside.  Up to now the Bounty, which currently amounts to ?2,500, was payable only to centenarians living in the State.

Commenting today on the announcement An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern TD, said: "While we now enjoy a flourishing economy and have become a country of immigration rather than emigration, history shows that many thousands of our people had to leave Ireland out of economic necessity.  Many built remarkable lives for themselves abroad and contributed substantially to their adopted countries.  We see huge evidence of this to this day with people of Irish ancestry to the fore worldwide in all walks of life.  Many of these people continued to support families back home and it is well known that the families they had to leave behind relied on the envelopes that would arrive from overseas.

My Government?s decision that the Centenarians? Bounty should be extended equally to Irish people where ever they are in the world is a token of the regard this country has for those people, for what they did and for the sacrifices they had to make.

The Department of Foreign Affairs are informing Irish Community Organisations abroad of this very positive development. This is a further step reflecting the Governments deep appreciation and recognition of Irish Communities abroad.?

Ends

I don't believe that many of our members were actually born in Ireland, however at the request of the Irish Embassy in Ottawa, I am posting the following just in case it is of interest to visitors to this forum:-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Irish Societies of Canada,

Please find attached herewith a press release from the Department of the Taoiseach from 30th April 2006, which the Embassy feels may be of interest to you and your members.

If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Tara Richey
Personal Assistant to Ambassador Burke
Embassy of Ireland
1105-130 Albert Street
Ottawa ON  K1P 5G4
tel no. (613) 233-6281 ext 223
fax no. (613) 233-5835
web site: www.irishembassyottawa.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Press Release issued by Department of the Taoiseach, 30th April 2006

Centenarian?s Bounty to be extended following Government Approval.
Irish Citizens born in the Island of Ireland who live outside the State to benefit
The Government has approved in principle the extension of the scheme for the payment of the Centenarians? Bounty to any Irish citizen who was born in the Island of Ireland, regardless of where he or she may currently reside.  Up to now the Bounty, which currently amounts to ?2,500, was payable only to centenarians living in the State.

Commenting today on the announcement An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern TD, said: "While we now enjoy a flourishing economy and have become a country of immigration rather than emigration, history shows that many thousands of our people had to leave Ireland out of economic necessity.  Many built remarkable lives for themselves abroad and contributed substantially to their adopted countries.  We see huge evidence of this to this day with people of Irish ancestry to the fore worldwide in all walks of life.  Many of these people continued to support families back home and it is well known that the families they had to leave behind relied on the envelopes that would arrive from overseas.

My Government?s decision that the Centenarians? Bounty should be extended equally to Irish people where ever they are in the world is a token of the regard this country has for those people, for what they did and for the sacrifices they had to make.

The Department of Foreign Affairs are informing Irish Community Organisations abroad of this very positive development. This is a further step reflecting the Governments deep appreciation and recognition of Irish Communities abroad.?

Ends