Saint Bernard de Lacolle Inquiry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I received this enquiry concerning St. Bernard de Lacolle on Ancetry.com and said that I would post it here, incase anyone knows of a direct connection between St. Columban and St. Bernard....Fergus,

I am not at all sure if I am connected to St. Columban, but I could not help but notice that two of my family names in Quebec popped up on your list. My g-grandfather, Joseph Robert MURPHY was born in Saint Bernard de Lacolle in Saint Jean County, in 1862. His parents were Mary GRIMES and William MURPHY. Mary was born in Quebec, Lacolle, I believe, about 1830, to Michael GRIMES and Elisabeth DOUGLAS. Mary had a sister named Margaret who married a Terrance O'NEILL at Saint Bernard in the 1850's. Mary also had either a brother or cousin by the name of Henry.
I am in the process of trying to figure out where to look in the parish records before Saint Bernard began in 1843. And also trying to make my way back to Ireland and possibly Scotland.
I am interested to know about the MURPHYS and GRIMES that you mentioned.

Becky

Here is my reply to Becky

Hi Becky;

There were very large families of Grimes; Murphys and O'Neils in St. Columban which is about 40 miles n/w of Montreal. However, a quick check did not show any of the connections that you mentioned. The earliest Grimes that I can find (agin I only checked quickly) was a James Grimes born about 1810 and married to an Anne Clark - both of them are listed as being from Co. Tyrone, Ireland. If you do visit our site at www.stcolumban-irish.com and look under marriages for both Ste. Scholatique (St. Columban was a part of Ste. Scholastique parish until about 1837) and under BMD's for St. Columban, you will see a lot of Grimes; Murphy and O'Neil marriages etc. All the first names of Mary; Margaret; Michael etc. are also common but not unusual since, of course, all the Irish in the 1820's seemed to use these names regularly. If I do come across any connections to Saint Bernard de Lacolle, I will re-post another reply. In the meantime, I will also add your post to the discussion forum area of our web site in case other descendants of St. Columban see a realtionship.

Take Care

Fergus

I received this enquiry concerning St. Bernard de Lacolle on Ancetry.com and said that I would post it here, incase anyone knows of a direct connection between St. Columban and St. Bernard....Fergus,

I am not at all sure if I am connected to St. Columban, but I could not help but notice that two of my family names in Quebec popped up on your list. My g-grandfather, Joseph Robert MURPHY was born in Saint Bernard de Lacolle in Saint Jean County, in 1862. His parents were Mary GRIMES and William MURPHY. Mary was born in Quebec, Lacolle, I believe, about 1830, to Michael GRIMES and Elisabeth DOUGLAS. Mary had a sister named Margaret who married a Terrance O'NEILL at Saint Bernard in the 1850's. Mary also had either a brother or cousin by the name of Henry.
I am in the process of trying to figure out where to look in the parish records before Saint Bernard began in 1843. And also trying to make my way back to Ireland and possibly Scotland.
I am interested to know about the MURPHYS and GRIMES that you mentioned.

Becky

Here is my reply to Becky

Hi Becky;

There were very large families of Grimes; Murphys and O'Neils in St. Columban which is about 40 miles n/w of Montreal. However, a quick check did not show any of the connections that you mentioned. The earliest Grimes that I can find (agin I only checked quickly) was a James Grimes born about 1810 and married to an Anne Clark - both of them are listed as being from Co. Tyrone, Ireland. If you do visit our site at www.stcolumban-irish.com and look under marriages for both Ste. Scholatique (St. Columban was a part of Ste. Scholastique parish until about 1837) and under BMD's for St. Columban, you will see a lot of Grimes; Murphy and O'Neil marriages etc. All the first names of Mary; Margaret; Michael etc. are also common but not unusual since, of course, all the Irish in the 1820's seemed to use these names regularly. If I do come across any connections to Saint Bernard de Lacolle, I will re-post another reply. In the meantime, I will also add your post to the discussion forum area of our web site in case other descendants of St. Columban see a realtionship.

Take Care

Fergus