Murray Quinn suggests a new book !!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Murray Quinn sent us this information on anew book that he has found that mgith be a "goldmine" for researchers

Hi Fergus,

I recently came across (and borrowed) a fabulous reference book (at least I think it's fabulous) in the Morin Heights Library which I believe might prove to be a bloody goldmine of genealogical inforrnation for some St. Columban researchers (as well as Montreal researchers) whose families may go ?way back? ?to the early 1800's in Argenteuil County, Que., as well as those whose ancestors may have been from, - or later moved on to -, Prescott County in Ont.. It?s called:-                                           ? ?

?History of the Counties of Argenteuil, Quebec & Prescott, Ontario

From the Earliest Settlement to the Present

(i.e. ? in this case, ?Present? meaning 1896)

By C. (Cyrus) Thomas

(Originally) published in 1896 by John Lovell & Son, Montreal.

Facsimile edition by Global Heritage Press, Milton, Ontario 1999.

Although this book would appear to be rather pricey at roughly $65C. from the above mentioned publisher, I find this book virtually saturated, - almost to the point of dripping -, with family names, mini biographies of many individuals, names of towns & villages which don?t exist anymore, R.C. & Protestant Church names, Priest?s & Minister?s names, the names of Militias/ Regiments, Military Officers? names, Company names, along with their founders and/or owners names, etc, etc, etc ? It even mentions names of families who were involved in raising militia troops for the 1837 Rebellion in St. Eustache.

With regards to family names, - the list seems virtually endless. In numerous cases, there's even lists of children of individual couples. And because this history runs from the early 1800?s to 1896, in some cases, families are portrayed through two, sometimes three generations ? and with names. In many cases there are also birth, marriage and death dates mentioned.

And all this is aside from the fact that the book also presents a very detailed, yet concise chronological general history of these two counties, along with the history of economical development of the areas, and who the individuals and families were who were important in that development.

I know that not everyone doing their research in ?Argenteuil (and/or Prescott) County? areas is necessarily going to find mentioned of their particular famil?y(ie?s) names for sure, but, by the simple fact that my own children went to high school in Lachute, I also know for fact that many of the names mentioned in this 1896 book are family names of children who my own kids went to school with. And even if one does not find their specific family mentioned in the book, in general, I still feel it is an excellent general reference book for these two areas.

?Have you ever heard of this book?

Murray Quinn

? .....No - I have never heard of it .... Fergus
Murray Quinn sent us this information on anew book that he has found that mgith be a "goldmine" for researchers

Hi Fergus,

I recently came across (and borrowed) a fabulous reference book (at least I think it's fabulous) in the Morin Heights Library which I believe might prove to be a bloody goldmine of genealogical inforrnation for some St. Columban researchers (as well as Montreal researchers) whose families may go ?way back? ?to the early 1800's in Argenteuil County, Que., as well as those whose ancestors may have been from, - or later moved on to -, Prescott County in Ont.. It?s called:-                                           ? ?

?History of the Counties of Argenteuil, Quebec & Prescott, Ontario

From the Earliest Settlement to the Present

(i.e. ? in this case, ?Present? meaning 1896)

By C. (Cyrus) Thomas

(Originally) published in 1896 by John Lovell & Son, Montreal.

Facsimile edition by Global Heritage Press, Milton, Ontario 1999.

Although this book would appear to be rather pricey at roughly $65C. from the above mentioned publisher, I find this book virtually saturated, - almost to the point of dripping -, with family names, mini biographies of many individuals, names of towns & villages which don?t exist anymore, R.C. & Protestant Church names, Priest?s & Minister?s names, the names of Militias/ Regiments, Military Officers? names, Company names, along with their founders and/or owners names, etc, etc, etc ? It even mentions names of families who were involved in raising militia troops for the 1837 Rebellion in St. Eustache.

With regards to family names, - the list seems virtually endless. In numerous cases, there's even lists of children of individual couples. And because this history runs from the early 1800?s to 1896, in some cases, families are portrayed through two, sometimes three generations ? and with names. In many cases there are also birth, marriage and death dates mentioned.

And all this is aside from the fact that the book also presents a very detailed, yet concise chronological general history of these two counties, along with the history of economical development of the areas, and who the individuals and families were who were important in that development.

I know that not everyone doing their research in ?Argenteuil (and/or Prescott) County? areas is necessarily going to find mentioned of their particular famil?y(ie?s) names for sure, but, by the simple fact that my own children went to high school in Lachute, I also know for fact that many of the names mentioned in this 1896 book are family names of children who my own kids went to school with. And even if one does not find their specific family mentioned in the book, in general, I still feel it is an excellent general reference book for these two areas.

?Have you ever heard of this book?

Murray Quinn

? .....No - I have never heard of it .... Fergus
Look's like you may be able to order it here but I'd also suggest your local public library may be able to find a copy in it's collection or be able to inter-library loan it if you quote the ISBN number from this site

http://globalgenealogy.com/countries/canada/quebec/resources/1012031.htm

ISBN 1-894378-06-7

The Otawa Public Library has 2 copies for in-house viewing only. This author Cyrus Thomas, has 3 titles in Ottawa Public Library. Looks like there were 2 editions on this topic.

http://www.lirico.ca/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=X15922343X819.13491&profile=lirico-eng&uindex=BAW&term=Thomas,%20C.%20(Cyrus),%201836-1908&aspect=subtab101&menu=search&source=~!horizon#focus
Look's like you may be able to order it here but I'd also suggest your local public library may be able to find a copy in it's collection or be able to inter-library loan it if you quote the ISBN number from this site

http://globalgenealogy.com/countries/canada/quebec/resources/1012031.htm

ISBN 1-894378-06-7

The Otawa Public Library has 2 copies for in-house viewing only. This author Cyrus Thomas, has 3 titles in Ottawa Public Library. Looks like there were 2 editions on this topic.

http://www.lirico.ca/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session=X15922343X819.13491&profile=lirico-eng&uindex=BAW&term=Thomas,%20C.%20(Cyrus),%201836-1908&aspect=subtab101&menu=search&source=~!horizon#focus
Wow, hit the jackpot here folks. The entire pub is publically available here as searchable Acrobat PDF

http://www.archive.org/details/historyprescott00thomuoft

Dial-up surfers beware this is a large 65M document so it may take a while to download over 700 pages. If you want to save a copy instead of downloading it everytime, right-click on the link to view the PDF version and save it when prompted.

This is a very unique PDF document with images of the orginal text as well as the searchable text embedded in the pages. Very powerful document for researchers!
Wow, hit the jackpot here folks. The entire pub is publically available here as searchable Acrobat PDF

http://www.archive.org/details/historyprescott00thomuoft

Dial-up surfers beware this is a large 65M document so it may take a while to download over 700 pages. If you want to save a copy instead of downloading it everytime, right-click on the link to view the PDF version and save it when prompted.

This is a very unique PDF document with images of the orginal text as well as the searchable text embedded in the pages. Very powerful document for researchers!
Hi Gang.

Murray is absolutely right . This is a great book. I first saw it at the Quebec Family History Society in Pointe Claire about 3 or 4 years ago. I was able to borrow it when I was writing my Neil / Delaney Family History. While I didn't find specific family info I did find  the amazing history of the area which helped me understand those things that influenced the direction that my family took. I strongly recommend you all read this book to get a first hand glance of the times.

ken
Hi Gang.

Murray is absolutely right . This is a great book. I first saw it at the Quebec Family History Society in Pointe Claire about 3 or 4 years ago. I was able to borrow it when I was writing my Neil / Delaney Family History. While I didn't find specific family info I did find  the amazing history of the area which helped me understand those things that influenced the direction that my family took. I strongly recommend you all read this book to get a first hand glance of the times.

ken
Thanks to Murray and others on the list for recommending this "gem" of a book, as well as the site to find it. I will definitely check it out - I still have much to learn!
Anne, Montreal  
Thanks to Murray and others on the list for recommending this "gem" of a book, as well as the site to find it. I will definitely check it out - I still have much to learn!
Anne, Montreal