Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I will be researching in Salt Lake City the week of Oct. 19. My research has been on hold for years as I volunteered for "Society stuff" and I'm stumped on what to look for.
Apparently our Irish ancestors had first lived in Montreal before being led to the St. Columban area by Fr. Phelan. Fergus' recent photos of Castlecomer reminded me that my Blanchfields had come from Kilkenny c. 1825 on a ship called Ocean but I am still looking for the Walsh origins in Ireland.
Was there an emigration scheme by a landlord that might have sent these people to Quebec? What area in Montreal might I check for other emigrants? I see references to Griffintown. My family was Walsh-Griffin. Might there be a connection in Montreal?
I will be researching in Salt Lake City the week of Oct. 19. My research has been on hold for years as I volunteered for "Society stuff" and I'm stumped on what to look for.
Apparently our Irish ancestors had first lived in Montreal before being led to the St. Columban area by Fr. Phelan. Fergus' recent photos of Castlecomer reminded me that my Blanchfields had come from Kilkenny c. 1825 on a ship called Ocean but I am still looking for the Walsh origins in Ireland.
Was there an emigration scheme by a landlord that might have sent these people to Quebec? What area in Montreal might I check for other emigrants? I see references to Griffintown. My family was Walsh-Griffin. Might there be a connection in Montreal?

Messages In This Thread
Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban - by marylund - 10-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Map of Kilkenny - by Fergus_Keyes - 10-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Kilkenny Homeowners C. 1640 - by Fergus_Keyes - 10-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Re: Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban - by jeff.legault - 10-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Re: Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban - by jeff.legault - 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Re: Irish origins of settlers in St. Columban - by jeff.legault - 10-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Rothe House - by Fergus_Keyes - 10-12-2008, 01:18 PM