Google News Archive Now Hosting Historical Newspapers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google recently (and quietly) added historical newspapers to one of their specialized search tools for a number of world newspapers (mostly from North America). Some of the newspapers of interest to the group include the Ottawa Citizen, Montreal Gazette and the Toronto Star. The search tool will attempt to search the actual content of the newspaper pages and will display the actual page as it appeared in print. Pretty amazing once you start to view the content. Keep in mind these pages have been scanned from old printed copies or microfilm so the search interpretation may not always be accurate depending on the quality of the original. Nonetheless it's valuable tool for any researcher. I was able to find many articles, death notices, advertisements, etc. connected to my family in Ottawa. It provided a missing link to tell some of the family stories we all crave. Not every single day of print is included so far but they may be adding more in time.

Visit this special search interface here and enter a term in "with all of the words" box like Columban or your family name and further down the page look for the "Source" box and enter montreal gazette:

http://news.google.ca/archivesearch/advanced_search?ned=ca&hl=en

To keep this thread going, please post your search results and share them with the group.
Google recently (and quietly) added historical newspapers to one of their specialized search tools for a number of world newspapers (mostly from North America). Some of the newspapers of interest to the group include the Ottawa Citizen, Montreal Gazette and the Toronto Star. The search tool will attempt to search the actual content of the newspaper pages and will display the actual page as it appeared in print. Pretty amazing once you start to view the content. Keep in mind these pages have been scanned from old printed copies or microfilm so the search interpretation may not always be accurate depending on the quality of the original. Nonetheless it's valuable tool for any researcher. I was able to find many articles, death notices, advertisements, etc. connected to my family in Ottawa. It provided a missing link to tell some of the family stories we all crave. Not every single day of print is included so far but they may be adding more in time.

Visit this special search interface here and enter a term in "with all of the words" box like Columban or your family name and further down the page look for the "Source" box and enter montreal gazette:

http://news.google.ca/archivesearch/advanced_search?ned=ca&hl=en

To keep this thread going, please post your search results and share them with the group.

Messages In This Thread
Google News Archive Now Hosting Historical Newspapers - by jeff.legault - 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Re: Google News Archive Now Hosting Historical Newspapers - by jeff.legault - 02-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Re: Google News Archive Now Hosting Historical Newspapers - by jeff.legault - 02-05-2010, 09:39 AM