1871 Census: William Cohoon, St. Colomban, Portneuf, Quebec (French/Cath)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The above census includes the following family members:
William Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Margaret Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Andrew Cohoon 5
Bertha Cohoon 3
Timothy (who was an infant) no age

1871 Census:  William Cohoon, Banlieue South, Quebec West, Quebec (Irish/Cath) includes the following
family members:

Margueret Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Leandra Cohoon (male) 5
Rutha Cohoon (female) 3 (might be transcription error)
Thimothee Cohoon 1

I have US naturalization papers that state William Cohoon was born in "Parrish St. Colombe, Dominion of Canada" in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on or about December 26, 1850.

This was done in Lewiston, Maine in 1890.

The obituary for William Cohoon in Niantic, CT in 1929 states his age as 80 or 86, which means he could have been born as early as 1843 or 1849.  (The age is illegible). Later US censuses state abt. 1846.

Finally, I remembered my french long enough to graduate from College and then moved to Japan.  I don't remember my french and/or confuse it with my spanish.

Going out on a limb here and exercising my God given right to be stupid, is it possible that the above censuses are for the same family?  Would one be an English translation of the French version?  Is Leandra french for Andrew?

Was there a stigma to being called Irish in 1871? The "french" census say irish/cath.  The "english" version says french/cath. 

William's wife was a Mahoney and her family is in the 1861 census for "Parish St. Colomba" with birth place of Ireland, so their origin can't have been french in 1871. 

Are the variants St. Colombe, St. Colomban and St. Colomba in fact different locales?

I am throwing it all out there with the hope that something might be recognized and worthy of comment.

Thanks for your time reading the post. Big Grin
Patti-Ann Cohoon
trying to find my great-great grandfather's family
The above census includes the following family members:
Margaret Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Andrew Cohoon 5
Bertha Cohoon 3
Timothy (who was an infant) no age

1871 Census:  William Cohoon, Banlieue South, Quebec West, Quebec (Irish/Cath) includes the following
family members:

Margueret Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Leandra Cohoon (male) 5
Rutha Cohoon (female) 3 (might be transcription error)
Thimothee Cohoon 1

I have US naturalization papers that state William Cohoon was born in "Parrish St. Colombe, Dominion of Canada" in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on or about December 26, 1850.

This was done in Lewiston, Maine in 1890.

The obituary for William Cohoon in Niantic, CT in 1929 states his age as 80 or 86, which means he could have been born as early as 1843 or 1849.  (The age is illegible). Later US censuses state abt. 1846.

Finally, I remembered my french long enough to graduate from College and then moved to Japan.  I don't remember my french and/or confuse it with my spanish.

Going out on a limb here and exercising my God given right to be stupid, is it possible that the above censuses are for the same family?  Would one be an English translation of the French version?  Is Leandra french for Andrew?

Was there a stigma to being called Irish in 1871? The "french" census say irish/cath.  The "english" version says french/cath. 

William's wife was a Mahoney and her family is in the 1861 census for "Parish St. Colomba" with birth place of Ireland, so their origin can't have been french in 1871. 

Are the variants St. Colombe, St. Colomban and St. Colomba in fact different locales?

I am throwing it all out there with the hope that something might be recognized and worthy of comment.

Thanks for your time reading the post. Big Grin
Patti-Ann Cohoon
trying to find my great-great grandfather's family

Messages In This Thread
1871 Census: William Cohoon, St. Colomban, Portneuf, Quebec (French/Cath) - by Cohoon - 07-29-2010, 03:11 PM