Samuel O'Rourke and Catherine Phelan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi Holly,

I am a descendant of John Joseph O'Rourke (my great-great-grandfather) and I believe that I have the information that you are looking for. ?

John was actually born in St. Canute (very close to St. Columban) on June 13, 1867. ?John (died Feb 1956) and his wife Catherine Lawton (died Nov 1922), are buried in Montreal at the Notre-Dame-des-Neiges cemetary.

John was the 5th born of the 9 children of Samuel O'Rourke and Catherine Phelan. ?Samuel and Catherine were married in St. Columban on April 21, 1857, and both are buried in nearby St. Canute. ?Samuel (died Apr 20 1907) and Catherine (died Sept 02 1909). ?Samuel was born in Ste. Scolastique (Aug 14 1834) and Catherine was born in St. Columban (1839).

To find the O'Rourke that crossed "the pond" you would have to look at Samuel's father - also Samuel O'Rourke. It seems that almost every member of the O'Rourkes named their first son Samuel (over 24 Samuel O'Rourkes in my family tree at the moment). ?

Samuel O'Rourke was born in Kings County Ireland (now called County Offaly), specifically the civil parish of Clonbullogue. ?Samuel marries Judith Grace (also born in Ireland) on February 16, 1824 at Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal. ?Based on his age at his death in December 1876 in St. Canute, Samuel must have been born about 1797. ?He must have immigrated sometime between then and 1824. ?I would suspect sometime between 1810 and 1824. ?That's were my 8 years of geneological research is stalled.

As I said John Joseph is my g-g-grandfather. ?My grandmother, Rita (O'Rourke) Hogan, was his eldest granddaughter. ?Btw, her father was also Samuel O'Rourke. ?How are you related?

I have a great deal of birth, marriage, and death registers, etc., as well as computer files (FTM, pdfs, etc). ?Please let me know if you are interested in anything. ?I can email them to you.

VERY GLAD I saw your posting! ?If anyone else has information on Sam O'Rourke's arrival date from Kings County please let me know.
Kim
Hi Holly,

I am a descendant of John Joseph O'Rourke (my great-great-grandfather) and I believe that I have the information that you are looking for. ?

John was actually born in St. Canute (very close to St. Columban) on June 13, 1867. ?John (died Feb 1956) and his wife Catherine Lawton (died Nov 1922), are buried in Montreal at the Notre-Dame-des-Neiges cemetary.

John was the 5th born of the 9 children of Samuel O'Rourke and Catherine Phelan. ?Samuel and Catherine were married in St. Columban on April 21, 1857, and both are buried in nearby St. Canute. ?Samuel (died Apr 20 1907) and Catherine (died Sept 02 1909). ?Samuel was born in Ste. Scolastique (Aug 14 1834) and Catherine was born in St. Columban (1839).

To find the O'Rourke that crossed "the pond" you would have to look at Samuel's father - also Samuel O'Rourke. It seems that almost every member of the O'Rourkes named their first son Samuel (over 24 Samuel O'Rourkes in my family tree at the moment). ?

Samuel O'Rourke was born in Kings County Ireland (now called County Offaly), specifically the civil parish of Clonbullogue. ?Samuel marries Judith Grace (also born in Ireland) on February 16, 1824 at Notre Dame Basilica in Montreal. ?Based on his age at his death in December 1876 in St. Canute, Samuel must have been born about 1797. ?He must have immigrated sometime between then and 1824. ?I would suspect sometime between 1810 and 1824. ?That's were my 8 years of geneological research is stalled.

As I said John Joseph is my g-g-grandfather. ?My grandmother, Rita (O'Rourke) Hogan, was his eldest granddaughter. ?Btw, her father was also Samuel O'Rourke. ?How are you related?

I have a great deal of birth, marriage, and death registers, etc., as well as computer files (FTM, pdfs, etc). ?Please let me know if you are interested in anything. ?I can email them to you.

VERY GLAD I saw your posting! ?If anyone else has information on Sam O'Rourke's arrival date from Kings County please let me know.
Kim

Messages In This Thread
Samuel O'Rourke and Catherine Phelan - by Holly - 10-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Re: Samuel O'Rourke and Catherine Phelan - by HOGAN_KIM - 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Re: Samuel O'Rourke and Judith Grace - by dublin9 - 10-23-2007, 08:17 PM