Millers; McDonalds; Scheffer; Cowan - Update Information

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here is an e-mail that we received recently. There is some additional information that we will try to post elsewhere on the site:-

Hi Fergus.

For what it?s worth, I just wanted to let you know of some corrections on page 3 of your 1851 Census records.  I know they are not Irish, but they certainly are pioneers of the St Colomban area.  MILLERS & McDONALDS are from Stirling, Scotland ? Eusebe?s father is from Gerrmany and not sure about his mother (but I think that family has been in Quebec for a long while ? originally from France).  

Numbers 5 through 10 minus 9 are all surname SCHEFFER, with No. 6 being Francois (Eusebe) SCHEFFER ? he used his middle name, see Censuses.   I note that the surname was Anglicised from the German SCHIEFFER to SCHEFFER (sometimes shown as SHEFFER).    I think that Eusebe was born 24/5/1810, and his parents were Charles SCHIEFFER and Louise Lisette GELINEAU, who had a very large number of children (I see about 14) from their marriage on 10/5/1807.  Eusebe?s family moved to Montana and became prominent pioneers of that district.

Numbers 38 through 40 ? first two are correct, but 40 is actually Christian COWAN (I think her maiden surname has been corrected on the official list, and Christian was a commonly used girls? name ? and family name).  She was the sister of Elizabeth COWAN of Lachute, both of whom were from Stirling.  Two of her brothers came to Australia, one of whom is my patriarch.  Therefore, Christian MILLER was the niece of Christian McDONALD.

If you have anything in your data base about the McDONALDS which might help out a researcher from downunder, I would be very grateful.  I can?t seem to get a bead on the family apart from what I have so far in the spreadsheet ? death of the patriarch seems to be 1874 and looks like his son in 1899.  Would the author Duncan McDonald be related to the McDonalds from your area?

Because I have been  researching the Miller family and Scheiffer/Scheffer/Sheffer marrued Christian Miller,  I see you have a document headed  

ST. COLUMBAN?S RC CHURCH, DEUX MONTAGNES, QUEBEC INDEX
May 16, 2003 This list is to be used as a guideline only. Due to bad handwriting, the poor condition of the original record, our unfamiliarity with French names and the loss of clarity in the photocopying process there is no guarantee that the stated records are accurate. However, we have tried to be as accurate as possible. Sometimes we could confirm the spelling by the signatures, but even they were sometimes inconsistent.    Sometimes the name was so hard to read we put what we could see or guess at.

As you can see from above the attachment, there are several entries which can now be corrected for Eusebe and Christian (aka Christina) Scheffer (shown as Eustace and Christine in your document).  Although I can?t find a birth for Elizabeth, the ones affected are:-

Mary 23 June 1845 (Burial)  -  Mary 10 October 1845  (Death ? hence 3.5 months?)  -  Mary   6 September 1846 (Baptism of new Mary).  Pierre (Peter)  1/10/1848 (Baptism).  Isabella 22 July 1851 (Death) .  For this one, given the date of birth of Elizabeth (don?t remember where I got                              it) is  January 1851, is it possible that Isabella is another stillborn baby mid-term?

Many thanks for the tips contained in your information, and I hope I may have helped in a small way in correcting some of the assumptions shown in the document, and your records.  You will recall that this Scheffer family moved to Montana, although I note that Eusebe was one of a very large family (about 14) .  Let me know if you can help on any of this.

Cheers,

Ray Cowan

PS.  Can?t find the marriage which would be about 1840ish.
Here is an e-mail that we received recently. There is some additional information that we will try to post elsewhere on the site:-

Hi Fergus.

For what it?s worth, I just wanted to let you know of some corrections on page 3 of your 1851 Census records.  I know they are not Irish, but they certainly are pioneers of the St Colomban area.  MILLERS & McDONALDS are from Stirling, Scotland ? Eusebe?s father is from Gerrmany and not sure about his mother (but I think that family has been in Quebec for a long while ? originally from France).  

Numbers 5 through 10 minus 9 are all surname SCHEFFER, with No. 6 being Francois (Eusebe) SCHEFFER ? he used his middle name, see Censuses.   I note that the surname was Anglicised from the German SCHIEFFER to SCHEFFER (sometimes shown as SHEFFER).    I think that Eusebe was born 24/5/1810, and his parents were Charles SCHIEFFER and Louise Lisette GELINEAU, who had a very large number of children (I see about 14) from their marriage on 10/5/1807.  Eusebe?s family moved to Montana and became prominent pioneers of that district.

Numbers 38 through 40 ? first two are correct, but 40 is actually Christian COWAN (I think her maiden surname has been corrected on the official list, and Christian was a commonly used girls? name ? and family name).  She was the sister of Elizabeth COWAN of Lachute, both of whom were from Stirling.  Two of her brothers came to Australia, one of whom is my patriarch.  Therefore, Christian MILLER was the niece of Christian McDONALD.

If you have anything in your data base about the McDONALDS which might help out a researcher from downunder, I would be very grateful.  I can?t seem to get a bead on the family apart from what I have so far in the spreadsheet ? death of the patriarch seems to be 1874 and looks like his son in 1899.  Would the author Duncan McDonald be related to the McDonalds from your area?

Because I have been  researching the Miller family and Scheiffer/Scheffer/Sheffer marrued Christian Miller,  I see you have a document headed  

ST. COLUMBAN?S RC CHURCH, DEUX MONTAGNES, QUEBEC INDEX
May 16, 2003 This list is to be used as a guideline only. Due to bad handwriting, the poor condition of the original record, our unfamiliarity with French names and the loss of clarity in the photocopying process there is no guarantee that the stated records are accurate. However, we have tried to be as accurate as possible. Sometimes we could confirm the spelling by the signatures, but even they were sometimes inconsistent.    Sometimes the name was so hard to read we put what we could see or guess at.

As you can see from above the attachment, there are several entries which can now be corrected for Eusebe and Christian (aka Christina) Scheffer (shown as Eustace and Christine in your document).  Although I can?t find a birth for Elizabeth, the ones affected are:-

Mary 23 June 1845 (Burial)  -  Mary 10 October 1845  (Death ? hence 3.5 months?)  -  Mary   6 September 1846 (Baptism of new Mary).  Pierre (Peter)  1/10/1848 (Baptism).  Isabella 22 July 1851 (Death) .  For this one, given the date of birth of Elizabeth (don?t remember where I got                              it) is  January 1851, is it possible that Isabella is another stillborn baby mid-term?

Many thanks for the tips contained in your information, and I hope I may have helped in a small way in correcting some of the assumptions shown in the document, and your records.  You will recall that this Scheffer family moved to Montana, although I note that Eusebe was one of a very large family (about 14) .  Let me know if you can help on any of this.

Cheers,

Ray Cowan

PS.  Can?t find the marriage which would be about 1840ish.
[size=10pt]Another note:-

Thanks Fergus.

If you uncover anything else, I would be grateful to hear. 

One thing I may have discovered since my original e-mail is a possible birth of the second Mary ? are you able to have somebody look in the Church register between 15 June and 27 June 1844, where there is an entry which is barely legible on Ancestry (probably one you haven?t transcribed for that reason) and let me know if you think it is for a Mary Scheffer birth ? certainly looks possible to me, but may be a different name than Mary?  Problem is that the two shown as Marys seem to overlap , if you take the literal translations of the Church record entries!!!!  Help!!!!

I have just commenced a rudimentary Scheffer spreadsheet, with all of the Eusebe siblings etc. I can find (mostly Chambly) - this genealogical thing is contagious.

Best wishes,

Ray Cowan
the_cowans@optusnet.com.au
[/size]
[size=10pt]Another note:-

Thanks Fergus.

If you uncover anything else, I would be grateful to hear. 

One thing I may have discovered since my original e-mail is a possible birth of the second Mary ? are you able to have somebody look in the Church register between 15 June and 27 June 1844, where there is an entry which is barely legible on Ancestry (probably one you haven?t transcribed for that reason) and let me know if you think it is for a Mary Scheffer birth ? certainly looks possible to me, but may be a different name than Mary?  Problem is that the two shown as Marys seem to overlap , if you take the literal translations of the Church record entries!!!!  Help!!!!

I have just commenced a rudimentary Scheffer spreadsheet, with all of the Eusebe siblings etc. I can find (mostly Chambly) - this genealogical thing is contagious.

Best wishes,

Ray Cowan
the_cowans@optusnet.com.au
[/size]