1871 Census: William Cohoon, St. Colomban, Portneuf, Quebec (French/Cath)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The above census includes the following family members:
William Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Margaret Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Andrew Cohoon 5
Bertha Cohoon 3
Timothy (who was an infant) no age

1871 Census:  William Cohoon, Banlieue South, Quebec West, Quebec (Irish/Cath) includes the following
family members:

Margueret Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Leandra Cohoon (male) 5
Rutha Cohoon (female) 3 (might be transcription error)
Thimothee Cohoon 1

I have US naturalization papers that state William Cohoon was born in "Parrish St. Colombe, Dominion of Canada" in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on or about December 26, 1850.

This was done in Lewiston, Maine in 1890.

The obituary for William Cohoon in Niantic, CT in 1929 states his age as 80 or 86, which means he could have been born as early as 1843 or 1849.  (The age is illegible). Later US censuses state abt. 1846.

Finally, I remembered my french long enough to graduate from College and then moved to Japan.  I don't remember my french and/or confuse it with my spanish.

Going out on a limb here and exercising my God given right to be stupid, is it possible that the above censuses are for the same family?  Would one be an English translation of the French version?  Is Leandra french for Andrew?

Was there a stigma to being called Irish in 1871? The "french" census say irish/cath.  The "english" version says french/cath. 

William's wife was a Mahoney and her family is in the 1861 census for "Parish St. Colomba" with birth place of Ireland, so their origin can't have been french in 1871. 

Are the variants St. Colombe, St. Colomban and St. Colomba in fact different locales?

I am throwing it all out there with the hope that something might be recognized and worthy of comment.

Thanks for your time reading the post. Big Grin
Patti-Ann Cohoon
trying to find my great-great grandfather's family
The above census includes the following family members:
Margaret Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Andrew Cohoon 5
Bertha Cohoon 3
Timothy (who was an infant) no age

1871 Census:  William Cohoon, Banlieue South, Quebec West, Quebec (Irish/Cath) includes the following
family members:

Margueret Cohoon 25 (abt. 1846)
Leandra Cohoon (male) 5
Rutha Cohoon (female) 3 (might be transcription error)
Thimothee Cohoon 1

I have US naturalization papers that state William Cohoon was born in "Parrish St. Colombe, Dominion of Canada" in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on or about December 26, 1850.

This was done in Lewiston, Maine in 1890.

The obituary for William Cohoon in Niantic, CT in 1929 states his age as 80 or 86, which means he could have been born as early as 1843 or 1849.  (The age is illegible). Later US censuses state abt. 1846.

Finally, I remembered my french long enough to graduate from College and then moved to Japan.  I don't remember my french and/or confuse it with my spanish.

Going out on a limb here and exercising my God given right to be stupid, is it possible that the above censuses are for the same family?  Would one be an English translation of the French version?  Is Leandra french for Andrew?

Was there a stigma to being called Irish in 1871? The "french" census say irish/cath.  The "english" version says french/cath. 

William's wife was a Mahoney and her family is in the 1861 census for "Parish St. Colomba" with birth place of Ireland, so their origin can't have been french in 1871. 

Are the variants St. Colombe, St. Colomban and St. Colomba in fact different locales?

I am throwing it all out there with the hope that something might be recognized and worthy of comment.

Thanks for your time reading the post. Big Grin
Patti-Ann Cohoon
Sounds like you are looking at Ancestry.com

Portneuf, Quebec is a region around Quebec City so not likely a connection to our St Colomban of present day. The family in the 1871 census is from Quebec West, Banlieue South. This is a part of Quebec City.

Back in 1871 the spelling of our St. Colomban, Quebec (near Montreal) would have been slightly different as our web site name reflects St. Columban. French language laws in Quebec changed the spelling of a lot of the original place names.

Colombe might be a closer translation to Columbus rather than Colomban but who knows. If he was born in Quebec and was catholic then you have a very good chance of finding him in the Drouin collection on Ancestry. Have to keep in mind there are many transcription errors and some pages are simply not legible due to fading or poor image quality so you may have to browse through a few hundred pages to narrow him down but start with what you know around Portneuf or Quebec City and look for a likely Parish that was often named after the town or area. You can browse by region starting from here if you have a subscription:
http://search.ancestry.ca/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=1091&path=
Sounds like you are looking at Ancestry.com

Portneuf, Quebec is a region around Quebec City so not likely a connection to our St Colomban of present day. The family in the 1871 census is from Quebec West, Banlieue South. This is a part of Quebec City.

Back in 1871 the spelling of our St. Colomban, Quebec (near Montreal) would have been slightly different as our web site name reflects St. Columban. French language laws in Quebec changed the spelling of a lot of the original place names.

Colombe might be a closer translation to Columbus rather than Colomban but who knows. If he was born in Quebec and was catholic then you have a very good chance of finding him in the Drouin collection on Ancestry. Have to keep in mind there are many transcription errors and some pages are simply not legible due to fading or poor image quality so you may have to browse through a few hundred pages to narrow him down but start with what you know around Portneuf or Quebec City and look for a likely Parish that was often named after the town or area. You can browse by region starting from here if you have a subscription:
http://search.ancestry.ca/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=1091&path=
Thank you Jeff.  The census information is indeed from Ancestry.com as I have a subscription. 

I obtained the Naturalization papers from the records keeper in Lewiston.  I have a copy.  The US Naturalization papers state the William Cohoon was born in Parrish [sic] St. Colombe [sic], Dominion of Canada in December 1850.

I imagine William gave the clerk this information in 1890 when he applied for US citizenship.  Can you hazard a guess if this Parrish might be your village?  I understand there were names changes.  It probably the reason why I am having a problem locating his birth place.

I will check the Drouin collection.  Thank you for your time.
Patti-Ann Cohoon
Thank you Jeff.  The census information is indeed from Ancestry.com as I have a subscription. 

I obtained the Naturalization papers from the records keeper in Lewiston.  I have a copy.  The US Naturalization papers state the William Cohoon was born in Parrish [sic] St. Colombe [sic], Dominion of Canada in December 1850.

I imagine William gave the clerk this information in 1890 when he applied for US citizenship.  Can you hazard a guess if this Parrish might be your village?  I understand there were names changes.  It probably the reason why I am having a problem locating his birth place.

I will check the Drouin collection.  Thank you for your time.
Patti-Ann Cohoon
Here's another possible lead on the name, it could be Saint Columb de Sillery again near Quebec City:

http://www.mcq.org/seminaire/english/chap4/photos/y-60.htm

If I had to guess this is about this area today:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Bergerville,+Qu%C3%A9bec&sll=46.778081,-71.235523&sspn=0.065245,0.197754&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bergerville,+Communaut%C3%A9-Urbaine-de-Qu%C3%A9bec,+Quebec&ll=46.777346,-71.250544&spn=0.016311,0.049438&t=h&z=15

The church goes by the name St Michel de Sillery today but the term Paroisse St-Colomb de Sillery was indeed an area not unlike a Parish area in New Orleans for example.

Some history links:
http://www.mcccf.gouv.qc.ca/index.php?id=1968

The Church
http://www.patrimoine-religieux.com/patrimoine_fr.asp?no=22039
Here's another possible lead on the name, it could be Saint Columb de Sillery again near Quebec City:

http://www.mcq.org/seminaire/english/chap4/photos/y-60.htm

If I had to guess this is about this area today:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Bergerville,+Qu%C3%A9bec&sll=46.778081,-71.235523&sspn=0.065245,0.197754&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Bergerville,+Communaut%C3%A9-Urbaine-de-Qu%C3%A9bec,+Quebec&ll=46.777346,-71.250544&spn=0.016311,0.049438&t=h&z=15

The church goes by the name St Michel de Sillery today but the term Paroisse St-Colomb de Sillery was indeed an area not unlike a Parish area in New Orleans for example.

Some history links:
http://www.mcccf.gouv.qc.ca/index.php?id=1968

The Church
http://www.patrimoine-religieux.com/patrimoine_fr.asp?no=22039
One final tip, try searching under Cahoon, I think you will find references to these individuals.
One final tip, try searching under Cahoon, I think you will find references to these individuals.
Hello Jeff:

You are too kind.  I headed for the Drouin.  I have found my great great grandfather's marriage record which contains his father's name and his late mother's name.  They were in "Paroisse St-Colomb de Sillery" Quebec.  I can't thank you enough for your tip.  I have been looking for this particular branch for years.  Fortunately, over the years more information is available on the internet and living, breathing people can be in touch across the miles and years to help each other out.

If you ever need help in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, just send a note  Smile

Patti-Ann Cohoon
Hello Jeff:

You are too kind.  I headed for the Drouin.  I have found my great great grandfather's marriage record which contains his father's name and his late mother's name.  They were in "Paroisse St-Colomb de Sillery" Quebec.  I can't thank you enough for your tip.  I have been looking for this particular branch for years.  Fortunately, over the years more information is available on the internet and living, breathing people can be in touch across the miles and years to help each other out.

If you ever need help in Fort Walton Beach, Florida, just send a note  Smile

Patti-Ann Cohoon
. . . and I have found my own Cahoons (which heretofore appeared to only reside in Novia Scotia and not be related to me) in Sillery.  I am going to put a star on today's date on my calendar!  I even found my gg grandfather as a Cabach, when I searched for my gg grandmother Mahoney!
Patti-Ann Cohoon
. . . and I have found my own Cahoons (which heretofore appeared to only reside in Novia Scotia and not be related to me) in Sillery.  I am going to put a star on today's date on my calendar!  I even found my gg grandfather as a Cabach, when I searched for my gg grandmother Mahoney!
Patti-Ann Cohoon
Yes I noticed the NS connection as well, a lot of Cohoons there. Glad I could help.
Yes I noticed the NS connection as well, a lot of Cohoons there. Glad I could help.