Question re 1851 Census

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would someone be kind enough to explain why pages 2, 4, 6, plus all the odd numbered pages from 7 to 35 for the 1851 St. Columban do not appear?, "or", is the data from these pages just not available?

The Quinn
Would someone be kind enough to explain why pages 2, 4, 6, plus all the odd numbered pages from 7 to 35 for the 1851 St. Columban do not appear?, "or", is the data from these pages just not available?

The Quinn
Murray

I have not seen the originals myself, but why there are most likely  gaps in the numbers because the pages in between provides other info. The 1901 census has 2 Schedule, one providing names of families, the other providing detail about addresses, building size, land size etc.I do not think St Columban could have add enough people to cover 35 pages. in 1901 there are 7 pages and in the 1911 there are 6 pages.
Just my two cents.

Sean 8-)
Wear RED fridays!! Show support for OUR troops!
Murray

I have not seen the originals myself, but why there are most likely  gaps in the numbers because the pages in between provides other info. The 1901 census has 2 Schedule, one providing names of families, the other providing detail about addresses, building size, land size etc.I do not think St Columban could have add enough people to cover 35 pages. in 1901 there are 7 pages and in the 1911 there are 6 pages.
Just my two cents.

Sean 8-)
Wear RED fridays!! Show support for OUR troops!
The missing pages in the 1851 Census contain the information that is noted in Point # 7 which introduces the census. These missing pages include things like the type of house structure, sex (if male or female - not if they had it!  ;D); etc., etc., . At the point that I visited the Quebec Archives, and photocopied the information, and then transcibed it all, these particular details, other than for my own family research,  were not really relevent to me. And, in actual fact, I only had so much change in my pocket to pay for the photocopies at the Quebec Archives (if you've been there, you know that you have to put change in the photocopy machine to use it, and their machine to change dollars into coins was not working). So, I was only able to photocopy and then transcibe the pages that I considered had the more important information - names of the people in the household etc...All of this happened before we started the St. Columban Web Site, and today, I probably would have taken the time to include the missing info.
The missing pages in the 1851 Census contain the information that is noted in Point # 7 which introduces the census. These missing pages include things like the type of house structure, sex (if male or female - not if they had it!  ;D); etc., etc., . At the point that I visited the Quebec Archives, and photocopied the information, and then transcibed it all, these particular details, other than for my own family research,  were not really relevent to me. And, in actual fact, I only had so much change in my pocket to pay for the photocopies at the Quebec Archives (if you've been there, you know that you have to put change in the photocopy machine to use it, and their machine to change dollars into coins was not working). So, I was only able to photocopy and then transcibe the pages that I considered had the more important information - names of the people in the household etc...All of this happened before we started the St. Columban Web Site, and today, I probably would have taken the time to include the missing info.
Sean/Fergus,
Thanks fellers fer the explanations; - should'a thought of that myself, but then, we can't all always be as swift as de wind.
Murray
Sean/Fergus,
Thanks fellers fer the explanations; - should'a thought of that myself, but then, we can't all always be as swift as de wind.
Murray