Montreal Connections Update

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Ann's, Griffintown/Montreal, May 8, 1877 - M29 (Marriage)

[highlight]James Donnelly[/highlight], son of [highlight]Hugh Donnelly[/highlight], dec. and of [highlight]Margaret Waters[/highlight]. TO: [highlight]Sarah [/highlight][highlight]Williams [/highlight]daughter of [highlight]James Williams  and Susanna McGarr.[/highlight]
Wit: Patrick Larkin, Mary Murphy
Bride's parents St. Columbia

St. Ann's, Griffintown/Montreal, Oct. 25, 1878 - B362 (Baptism)

[highlight]Mary Donnelly [/highlight]daughter of [highlight]James Donnelly[/highlight], labourer and of [highlight]Sarah Williams [/highlight]

GP: Patrick Larkin and Margaret Donnelly

Note: In our records, Sarah Williams was born in St. Columban on August 7 1849

St. Ann's, Griffintown/Montreal, May 8, 1877 - M29 (Marriage)

[highlight]James Donnelly[/highlight], son of [highlight]Hugh Donnelly[/highlight], dec. and of [highlight]Margaret Waters[/highlight]. TO: [highlight]Sarah [/highlight][highlight]Williams [/highlight]daughter of [highlight]James Williams  and Susanna McGarr.[/highlight]
Wit: Patrick Larkin, Mary Murphy
Bride's parents St. Columbia

St. Ann's, Griffintown/Montreal, Oct. 25, 1878 - B362 (Baptism)

[highlight]Mary Donnelly [/highlight]daughter of [highlight]James Donnelly[/highlight], labourer and of [highlight]Sarah Williams [/highlight]

GP: Patrick Larkin and Margaret Donnelly

Note: In our records, Sarah Williams was born in St. Columban on August 7 1849

Thank you for the McKeown & Hart Marriage listing- not sure where the link is.. - that is the fun part of genealogy! Anne, Montreal
Thank you for the McKeown & Hart Marriage listing- not sure where the link is.. - that is the fun part of genealogy! Anne, Montreal
St. Patrick's, Montreal, Nov. 6, 1860 - M137

[highlight]Patrick Clarke[/highlight], laborer, son of James Clarke dec. and of Catherine (looks like) Tiernan. TO: [highlight]Ann Blanchfield[/highlight], daughter of Richard Blanchfield and of dec. Bridget McCarthy

Wit: Owen Partland.

Groom's parents, Co. Leitrim and bride's parents Co. Kilkenny.

Sheila

In our notes; Ann Blanchfield was born in St. Columban on March 13th 1840 ? B17. Her parents, Richard Blanchfield & Bridget McCarthy were married in St. Columban on February 11 1839 ? M4.

Her mother, Bridget was born about 1821, and died young on October 16 1842 at only 21 years old.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

July 15, 1845, Notre Dame, Montreal

[highlight]Richard Blanchfield[/highlight], wid of Bridget McCarthy. TO: [highlight]Catherine Brennan[/highlight], daughter of Wm. Brennan and Mary Butler

In our notes, Richard Blanchfield is the widow of Bridget McCarthy and definitely from St. Columban.

However, it would appear that the Brennan family was also from St. Columban at the time. They had at least one other daughter named, Mary Brennan who also married into the Blanchfield family. Our records on Mary Brennan are that she married a James Blanchfield in St. Columban on September 21 1836.

[highlight]Patrick Clarke[/highlight], laborer, son of James Clarke dec. and of Catherine (looks like) Tiernan. TO: [highlight]Ann Blanchfield[/highlight], daughter of Richard Blanchfield and of dec. Bridget McCarthy

Sheila

In our notes; Ann Blanchfield was born in St. Columban on March 13th 1840 ? B17. Her parents, Richard Blanchfield & Bridget McCarthy were married in St. Columban on February 11 1839 ? M4.

Her mother, Bridget was born about 1821, and died young on October 16 1842 at only 21 years old.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

July 15, 1845, Notre Dame, Montreal

[highlight]Richard Blanchfield[/highlight], wid of Bridget McCarthy. TO: [highlight]Catherine Brennan[/highlight], daughter of Wm. Brennan and Mary Butler

In our notes, Richard Blanchfield is the widow of Bridget McCarthy and definitely from St. Columban.

However, it would appear that the Brennan family was also from St. Columban at the time. They had at least one other daughter named, Mary Brennan who also married into the Blanchfield family. Our records on Mary Brennan are that she married a James Blanchfield in St. Columban on September 21 1836.

Some info. from Shelia about Brophy / Phelan

The following is a complete transcript of the Brophy Phelan marriage at St. Gabriel's.  I read the groom's mother as "Bennett".  At the repertoires informatise de groupe BMS2000 they list her as Emmett.

Anyway, here is the complete text as I read it:

M19 St. Gabriel's Point St. Charles
Thomas Brophy & Mary Phelan

The tenth of October 1882, whereas the dispensation of two banns of marriage as also a dispensation of the third bann to the fourth degree of consanguinity have been granted by the Very Reverend D. J. Marechal, Vicar General of this Diocese, whereas also the other banns have been published at the prime of our parochial masses between [highlight]Thomas Brophy[/highlight], son of age of [highlight]deceased Lawrence Brophy and Margaret Bennet [/highlight](probably should read Margaret Elliott) of St. Columban of the one part; and [highlight]Mary Phelan [/highlight]at present also of St. Columban, daughter of age of [highlight]deceased Patrick Phelan and Sarah O'Brien [/highlight]of St. Columban of the other part; no opposition having been offered, we the undersigned priest have received their mutual consent to marriage and have given them the nuptual blessing in presence of Timothy Quinlan and Mary Quinlan who have signed with the bride, the bridegroom has declared that he cannot sign.

Thanks for the info....Here are the additional detail that I have. In my records, Thomas' mother is Margaret Elliott (which I think is the right name rather than Bennett or Emmett).... Both Thomas & Mary each had a number of brothers & sisters....

[highlight]Thomas Brophy [/highlight]born in St. Columban on May 25th 1855 ? Son of [highlight]Lawrence Brophy [/highlight]who had likely been born in Ireland about 1819 and died in St. Columban on November 24 1881 at the age of 62 years old and his mother, [highlight]Margaret ELLIOTT[/highlight], who was born about 1832 and died in St. Columban on July 30 1896 at 64 years old.
and ?..
[highlight]Mary Phelan [/highlight]born in St. Columban on May 15th 1857 ? Daughter of [highlight]Patrick Phelan [/highlight]born about 1829, and died in St. Columban on December 12 1874 at 45 years old. and his wife [highlight]Sarah O?Brien[/highlight] (no other information on Sarah at this point).

Some info. from Shelia about Brophy / Phelan

The following is a complete transcript of the Brophy Phelan marriage at St. Gabriel's.  I read the groom's mother as "Bennett".  At the repertoires informatise de groupe BMS2000 they list her as Emmett.

Anyway, here is the complete text as I read it:

M19 St. Gabriel's Point St. Charles
Thomas Brophy & Mary Phelan

The tenth of October 1882, whereas the dispensation of two banns of marriage as also a dispensation of the third bann to the fourth degree of consanguinity have been granted by the Very Reverend D. J. Marechal, Vicar General of this Diocese, whereas also the other banns have been published at the prime of our parochial masses between [highlight]Thomas Brophy[/highlight], son of age of [highlight]deceased Lawrence Brophy and Margaret Bennet [/highlight](probably should read Margaret Elliott) of St. Columban of the one part; and [highlight]Mary Phelan [/highlight]at present also of St. Columban, daughter of age of [highlight]deceased Patrick Phelan and Sarah O'Brien [/highlight]of St. Columban of the other part; no opposition having been offered, we the undersigned priest have received their mutual consent to marriage and have given them the nuptual blessing in presence of Timothy Quinlan and Mary Quinlan who have signed with the bride, the bridegroom has declared that he cannot sign.

Thanks for the info....Here are the additional detail that I have. In my records, Thomas' mother is Margaret Elliott (which I think is the right name rather than Bennett or Emmett).... Both Thomas & Mary each had a number of brothers & sisters....

[highlight]Thomas Brophy [/highlight]born in St. Columban on May 25th 1855 ? Son of [highlight]Lawrence Brophy [/highlight]who had likely been born in Ireland about 1819 and died in St. Columban on November 24 1881 at the age of 62 years old and his mother, [highlight]Margaret ELLIOTT[/highlight], who was born about 1832 and died in St. Columban on July 30 1896 at 64 years old.
and ?..
[highlight]Mary Phelan [/highlight]born in St. Columban on May 15th 1857 ? Daughter of [highlight]Patrick Phelan [/highlight]born about 1829, and died in St. Columban on December 12 1874 at 45 years old. and his wife [highlight]Sarah O?Brien[/highlight] (no other information on Sarah at this point).

This is not from a microfilm. ?It is from a CD, Repertoires Informatises du Groupe BMS2000.

St. Enfant-Jesus, Montreal
Nov. 23, 1891
[highlight]Lawrence Brophy [/highlight]son of [highlight]Lawrence Brophy and Margaret Elliot [/highlight]TO: [highlight]Therese Keyes[/highlight], daughter of [highlight]Andrew Keyes and Bridget Ryan[/highlight]
NOTE: Epouse de St. Columban.

And here is the information that I have in my records...

[highlight]Lawrence Brophy [/highlight]was born in St. Columban on December 15th 1866 and that his parents were [highlight]Lawrence Brophy and Margaret Elliott[/highlight]. He died on February 12 1915 (Likely in Montreal)

[highlight]Teresa Keyes [/highlight]was born in St. Columban on September 13 1873 and died (also likely in Montreal) on July 28 1958 at 84 years old. Her parents were [highlight]Andrew Keyes [/highlight]born in Ireland (probably Kilkenny) on August 15 1825 and he died in St. Columban on October 24 1903. Her mother was [highlight]Bridget Ryan[/highlight], born in St. Columban on April 19 1841 (and Andrew's 2nd wife) and died in St. Columban on September 18 1907. Andrew Keyes & Bridget Ryan were married in St. Columban on February 28 1859.

This is not from a microfilm. ?It is from a CD, Repertoires Informatises du Groupe BMS2000.

St. Enfant-Jesus, Montreal
Nov. 23, 1891
[highlight]Lawrence Brophy [/highlight]son of [highlight]Lawrence Brophy and Margaret Elliot [/highlight]TO: [highlight]Therese Keyes[/highlight], daughter of [highlight]Andrew Keyes and Bridget Ryan[/highlight]
NOTE: Epouse de St. Columban.

And here is the information that I have in my records...

[highlight]Lawrence Brophy [/highlight]was born in St. Columban on December 15th 1866 and that his parents were [highlight]Lawrence Brophy and Margaret Elliott[/highlight]. He died on February 12 1915 (Likely in Montreal)

[highlight]Teresa Keyes [/highlight]was born in St. Columban on September 13 1873 and died (also likely in Montreal) on July 28 1958 at 84 years old. Her parents were [highlight]Andrew Keyes [/highlight]born in Ireland (probably Kilkenny) on August 15 1825 and he died in St. Columban on October 24 1903. Her mother was [highlight]Bridget Ryan[/highlight], born in St. Columban on April 19 1841 (and Andrew's 2nd wife) and died in St. Columban on September 18 1907. Andrew Keyes & Bridget Ryan were married in St. Columban on February 28 1859.

St. Joseph, Huntingdon, Quebec, Oct. 27, 1956
John Ryan, son of Jeremiah Ryan and Catherine Leavy
TO: Lorette Keyes, dughter of Andrew Keyes and Elizabeth Casey

And here is the info in my records...

I have no details about John Ryan ( Don't think that he was part of the St. Columban Ryans) but Loretta Keyes was my aunt (my father's sister).

She was born in Montreal on June 4th 1910. She and John Ryan had no children. Her father (my grandfather) was Andrew Keyes (II) and her mother was Elizabeth Casey. Her father had been born in St. Columban on Christmas Day - December 25 1878 and died in Montreal on November 15 1944. Her mother (my grandmother) Elizabeth was born in St. Columban on June 30th 1878 and died in Montreal on July 17 1948. Elizabeth Casey actually died at my parent's home in Park Ex about 5 months before I was born.

Her grandparents (my great grandparents) were Andrew Keyes (I) and Bridget Ryan on her father's side,  and John Casey and Mary Ann Grimes on her mother's side...
St. Joseph, Huntingdon, Quebec, Oct. 27, 1956
John Ryan, son of Jeremiah Ryan and Catherine Leavy
TO: Lorette Keyes, dughter of Andrew Keyes and Elizabeth Casey

And here is the info in my records...

I have no details about John Ryan ( Don't think that he was part of the St. Columban Ryans) but Loretta Keyes was my aunt (my father's sister).

She was born in Montreal on June 4th 1910. She and John Ryan had no children. Her father (my grandfather) was Andrew Keyes (II) and her mother was Elizabeth Casey. Her father had been born in St. Columban on Christmas Day - December 25 1878 and died in Montreal on November 15 1944. Her mother (my grandmother) Elizabeth was born in St. Columban on June 30th 1878 and died in Montreal on July 17 1948. Elizabeth Casey actually died at my parent's home in Park Ex about 5 months before I was born.

Her grandparents (my great grandparents) were Andrew Keyes (I) and Bridget Ryan on her father's side,  and John Casey and Mary Ann Grimes on her mother's side...
Here are some more Montreal connections compliments of Shelia:-

St. Patrick's, Montreal
Oct. 24, 1865 -M143
[highlight]Michael Healy[/highlight], carter, of this parish son of age of [highlight]dec. Michael Healy and of dec. Catherine (looks like) Canaan[/highlight], of Co.Clare, Ireland, to [highlight]Bridget O'Rourke [/highlight]of this parish, daughter of [highlight]John O'Rourke,[/highlight] farmer, and of [highlight]Bridget Plunkett  [/highlight]of the parish of St. Scholastique .
Wit: [highlight]James Kinsella and Anne McGreevy[/highlight]

(I know people who are researching both Plunkett and McGreevy)

and ....

It is from the CD -Groupe BMS2000, I did not transcribed this records.

St. Anges, Montreal, Lachine??
July 6, 1868Richard "Blandsfield" son of James "Blandsfield" and Maria Brennan
TO: Bridget Slattery daughter of Timothy Slattery and Catherine "Caisey"

My comments ....

Yes this one is ours. Both families are from St. Columban and should read:-

[highlight]Richard Blanchfield [/highlight]son of [highlight]James Blanchfield and Mary [/highlight][highlight]Brennan[/highlight] to [highlight]Bridget Slattery [/highlight]daughter of [highlight]Timothy Slattery [/highlight]and [highlight]Catherine Casey.[/highlight]

[highlight]Richard Blanchfield [/highlight]was born in St. Columban on June 15th 1839 and
[highlight]Bridget Slattery [/highlight]was also born in St. Columban on November 5th 1839.
Here are some more Montreal connections compliments of Shelia:-

St. Patrick's, Montreal
Oct. 24, 1865 -M143
[highlight]Michael Healy[/highlight], carter, of this parish son of age of [highlight]dec. Michael Healy and of dec. Catherine (looks like) Canaan[/highlight], of Co.Clare, Ireland, to [highlight]Bridget O'Rourke [/highlight]of this parish, daughter of [highlight]John O'Rourke,[/highlight] farmer, and of [highlight]Bridget Plunkett  [/highlight]of the parish of St. Scholastique .
Wit: [highlight]James Kinsella and Anne McGreevy[/highlight]

(I know people who are researching both Plunkett and McGreevy)

and ....

It is from the CD -Groupe BMS2000, I did not transcribed this records.

St. Anges, Montreal, Lachine??
July 6, 1868Richard "Blandsfield" son of James "Blandsfield" and Maria Brennan
TO: Bridget Slattery daughter of Timothy Slattery and Catherine "Caisey"

My comments ....

Yes this one is ours. Both families are from St. Columban and should read:-

[highlight]Richard Blanchfield [/highlight]son of [highlight]James Blanchfield and Mary [/highlight][highlight]Brennan[/highlight] to [highlight]Bridget Slattery [/highlight]daughter of [highlight]Timothy Slattery [/highlight]and [highlight]Catherine Casey.[/highlight]

[highlight]Richard Blanchfield [/highlight]was born in St. Columban on June 15th 1839 and
[highlight]Bridget Slattery [/highlight]was also born in St. Columban on November 5th 1839.
St. Patrick's, Montreal, ?M4, Jan. 4, 1895
[highlight]Michael Stapleton[/highlight], carter of St. Patrick's, son of age of [highlight]John Stapleton and of Bridget Wells[/highlight], to: [highlight]Ann Julia [/highlight][highlight]O'Rourke[/highlight], of St. Patrick's, daughter of [highlight]Samuel O'Rourke, farmer and of Catharine Phelan.[/highlight]Wit: Church official and Arthur Crawford.

St. Patrick's, Montreal, B152, May 27, 1895
[highlight]John Samuel Joseph Stapleton[/highlight], born, May 23, son of Michael Stapleton, carter and Ann Julia O'Rourke of this ?parish.
GP: Charles Stapleton, and Mary Ann Stapleton

St Patrick's, Montreal, B265, Jul 16, 1896
[highlight]Pauline Catherine[/highlight], born on the July 14, daughter of Michael Stapleton, laborer and Ann Julia O'Rourke of this parish
GP: Thomas Meehan and Catherine his wife.

St. Patrick's, Montreal, B451, Dec. 5, 1897
[highlight]Josephine Maguerite Stapleton[/highlight], ?born on the 1rst. daughter of ?Michale Stapleton, milkman and Ann Julia O'Rourke of this parish.
GP: Hugh Hart, clerk of the parish of St. Anthony's and of ?Katherine Stapleton, spinster, aunt of the child, of St. Anthony's

St. Patrick's, Montreal, B77, April 15, 1900
[highlight]Samuel Gerald Isidore Stapleton[/highlight], born on the 4th. son of Michael Stapleton, driver ?and of Ann Julia O'Rourke of this parish
GP: Patrick Meehan, gentleman, of this parish and of ?Margaret Murphy, spinister of this parish.

St. Patrick, Montreal, M17, Feb. 14, 1899
[highlight]Charles John Stapleton[/highlight], carter son of age of John Stapleton and of ?Bridget Wells ?to Ellen Theresa Murray of St. Patrick's, daughter of age of ?William Murray and of dec. Eliza Daley
Wit: John Baird of ?St. Patrick's and of ?Ann Brownrigg, cousin of the bride

And some notes from our St. Columban Information

a) [highlight]Ann Julia O'Rourke [/highlight]was also born in St. Columban on September 1 1860.

b) Their child, [highlight]Josephine[/highlight] noted above - died and was buried in St. Columban on June 30th 1898 at 7 months old.

The Stapleton Family:-

John Stapleton (son of Michael Stapleton & Judith Marshall) married Bridget Wells on September 12 1865 in St. Columban. Bridget had been born in St. Columban on February 10 1837 and was the daughter of Charles John Wells & Margaret Farrell.

They had a number of children all born in St. Columban, including:

Marian (or Mary Ann) Stapleton April 8th 1870 and I believe that you provided the info. that she married James Devlin in St. Patrick?s on May 19 1908

Michael Stapleton born June 4 1872

***Bridget Catherine Stapleton born Sept. 9 1873

Charles Stapleton born Feb 11 1875

Margaret Stapleton born May 27 1876

Judith Stapleton born Nov 28 1877

Ellen Stapleton born August 25 1879 but died at only 15 months old on Nov 24 1880

***Catherine Stapleton who died at 23 years old on May 19 1899 who I suspect was likely Bridget Catherine noted above ?..

St. Patrick's, Montreal, ?M4, Jan. 4, 1895
[highlight]Michael Stapleton[/highlight], carter of St. Patrick's, son of age of [highlight]John Stapleton and of Bridget Wells[/highlight], to: [highlight]Ann Julia [/highlight][highlight]O'Rourke[/highlight], of St. Patrick's, daughter of [highlight]Samuel O'Rourke, farmer and of Catharine Phelan.[/highlight]Wit: Church official and Arthur Crawford.

St. Patrick's, Montreal, B152, May 27, 1895
[highlight]John Samuel Joseph Stapleton[/highlight], born, May 23, son of Michael Stapleton, carter and Ann Julia O'Rourke of this ?parish.
GP: Charles Stapleton, and Mary Ann Stapleton

St Patrick's, Montreal, B265, Jul 16, 1896
[highlight]Pauline Catherine[/highlight], born on the July 14, daughter of Michael Stapleton, laborer and Ann Julia O'Rourke of this parish
GP: Thomas Meehan and Catherine his wife.

St. Patrick's, Montreal, B451, Dec. 5, 1897
[highlight]Josephine Maguerite Stapleton[/highlight], ?born on the 1rst. daughter of ?Michale Stapleton, milkman and Ann Julia O'Rourke of this parish.
GP: Hugh Hart, clerk of the parish of St. Anthony's and of ?Katherine Stapleton, spinster, aunt of the child, of St. Anthony's

St. Patrick's, Montreal, B77, April 15, 1900
[highlight]Samuel Gerald Isidore Stapleton[/highlight], born on the 4th. son of Michael Stapleton, driver ?and of Ann Julia O'Rourke of this parish
GP: Patrick Meehan, gentleman, of this parish and of ?Margaret Murphy, spinister of this parish.

St. Patrick, Montreal, M17, Feb. 14, 1899
[highlight]Charles John Stapleton[/highlight], carter son of age of John Stapleton and of ?Bridget Wells ?to Ellen Theresa Murray of St. Patrick's, daughter of age of ?William Murray and of dec. Eliza Daley
Wit: John Baird of ?St. Patrick's and of ?Ann Brownrigg, cousin of the bride

And some notes from our St. Columban Information

a) [highlight]Ann Julia O'Rourke [/highlight]was also born in St. Columban on September 1 1860.

b) Their child, [highlight]Josephine[/highlight] noted above - died and was buried in St. Columban on June 30th 1898 at 7 months old.

The Stapleton Family:-

John Stapleton (son of Michael Stapleton & Judith Marshall) married Bridget Wells on September 12 1865 in St. Columban. Bridget had been born in St. Columban on February 10 1837 and was the daughter of Charles John Wells & Margaret Farrell.

They had a number of children all born in St. Columban, including:

Marian (or Mary Ann) Stapleton April 8th 1870 and I believe that you provided the info. that she married James Devlin in St. Patrick?s on May 19 1908

Michael Stapleton born June 4 1872

***Bridget Catherine Stapleton born Sept. 9 1873

Charles Stapleton born Feb 11 1875

Margaret Stapleton born May 27 1876

Judith Stapleton born Nov 28 1877

Ellen Stapleton born August 25 1879 but died at only 15 months old on Nov 24 1880

***Catherine Stapleton who died at 23 years old on May 19 1899 who I suspect was likely Bridget Catherine noted above ?..

Here are a couple of more connections from Shelia.....

[b](By the way, just for information, the "Shelia" that Jeff removed from our list recently is not our "Shelia". The Shelia that we removed was a spammer from Russia!)[/b]

Here is the information from our Shelia:-

St. Patrick's, Montreal
April 5, 1864 - M30
[highlight]John Hall[/highlight], farmer, domiciled in St. Columba, son of [highlight]James [/highlight][highlight]Hall and Alice O'Donnell [/highlight]of the same parish.  TO: [highlight]Anne McKenna [/highlight]of this parish  of this parish, daughter of dec. [highlight]Patrick McKenna, farmer and of dec. Mary (looks like) McArdle of this parish[/highlight]Wit: Mary McKenna, and a church official

The following is a note only FYI - not sure if this is the same Catherine Blanchfield from the St. Columban Blanchfields....

St. Patrick's, Montreal, April 3, 1864, B265
Mary Ann Vidler, born on the 1st. inst. daughter of Joseph Vidler, labourer and of [highlight]Catherine Blanchfield[/highlight].
GP: Augustus Marchi, Anny Welsh

Here are a couple of more connections from Shelia.....

[b](By the way, just for information, the "Shelia" that Jeff removed from our list recently is not our "Shelia". The Shelia that we removed was a spammer from Russia!)[/b]

Here is the information from our Shelia:-

St. Patrick's, Montreal
April 5, 1864 - M30
[highlight]John Hall[/highlight], farmer, domiciled in St. Columba, son of [highlight]James [/highlight][highlight]Hall and Alice O'Donnell [/highlight]of the same parish.  TO: [highlight]Anne McKenna [/highlight]of this parish  of this parish, daughter of dec. [highlight]Patrick McKenna, farmer and of dec. Mary (looks like) McArdle of this parish[/highlight]Wit: Mary McKenna, and a church official

The following is a note only FYI - not sure if this is the same Catherine Blanchfield from the St. Columban Blanchfields....

St. Patrick's, Montreal, April 3, 1864, B265
Mary Ann Vidler, born on the 1st. inst. daughter of Joseph Vidler, labourer and of [highlight]Catherine Blanchfield[/highlight].
GP: Augustus Marchi, Anny Welsh

Sometimes even a first name can drive you crazy as with this case where Shelia and I have been going back and forth to determine if the first name is [highlight]Ann or Margaret[/highlight]....

In the wedding she is referred to as Ann......

Patrick Clarke, laborer, son of James Clarke dec. and of Catherine (looks like) Tiernan. TO: [highlight]Ann Blanchfield[/highlight], daughter of Richard Blanchfield and of dec. Bridget McCarthy

Then when a her child Margaret is born, she is referred to as Margaret as follows...

St. Patrick's, Montreal, Nov. 3, 1864 - B898
Margaret Clarke, born Nov. 2, 1864, daughter of Patrick Clarke, gardener and of [highlight]Margaret Blanchfield.[/highlight]
GP: James (looks like, can't sign) Ellot and Margaret Welsh.

And these are some notes from our St. Columban records:-

She was born on March 13 1840 and baptized as Ann in St. Columban (B17). She was the daughter of Richard Blanchfield. Her mother, Bridget McCarthy died in St. Columban on October 16 1842 at only 21 years old (S16). Her parents had been married in St. Columban on February 11 1839 (M4). She seems to have been the only daughter from this marriage although there was also a son James Blanchfield born on January 3 1842 (B1). Her father Richard, re-married as per a previous note...Maybe in this case, she simply took the name Margaret or the priest at the baptism wrongly put her first name as Margaret assuming it was the same name as the new daughter, or he just wrote it as Margaret in error - who ever knows with this stuff?

Just for the additional notes about the baptism of Margaret Clarke, I would guess that the godparents were also from St. Columban. Can't really prove it, of course, but I would guess that James Ellot in your records was probably James Elliott. He was the son of Edward Elliott & Mary Blanchfield. James was born in St. Columban on October 9 1841 and would have been about the same age and the 1st cousin of Ann (or Margaret) Blanchfield. There were also a lot of Welsh (Walsh) families in St. Columban but I can't really connect directly to the godmother Margaret Welsh. Actually now that I see it with the baby named Margaret and the god-mother named Margaret, maybe the priest decided it was easier to just name the mother Margaret too so all the female first names could all be the same !!!

So, even when they changed around their first names it can lead to some confusion !!!

Sometimes even a first name can drive you crazy as with this case where Shelia and I have been going back and forth to determine if the first name is [highlight]Ann or Margaret[/highlight]....

In the wedding she is referred to as Ann......

Patrick Clarke, laborer, son of James Clarke dec. and of Catherine (looks like) Tiernan. TO: [highlight]Ann Blanchfield[/highlight], daughter of Richard Blanchfield and of dec. Bridget McCarthy

Then when a her child Margaret is born, she is referred to as Margaret as follows...

St. Patrick's, Montreal, Nov. 3, 1864 - B898
Margaret Clarke, born Nov. 2, 1864, daughter of Patrick Clarke, gardener and of [highlight]Margaret Blanchfield.[/highlight]
GP: James (looks like, can't sign) Ellot and Margaret Welsh.

And these are some notes from our St. Columban records:-

She was born on March 13 1840 and baptized as Ann in St. Columban (B17). She was the daughter of Richard Blanchfield. Her mother, Bridget McCarthy died in St. Columban on October 16 1842 at only 21 years old (S16). Her parents had been married in St. Columban on February 11 1839 (M4). She seems to have been the only daughter from this marriage although there was also a son James Blanchfield born on January 3 1842 (B1). Her father Richard, re-married as per a previous note...Maybe in this case, she simply took the name Margaret or the priest at the baptism wrongly put her first name as Margaret assuming it was the same name as the new daughter, or he just wrote it as Margaret in error - who ever knows with this stuff?

Just for the additional notes about the baptism of Margaret Clarke, I would guess that the godparents were also from St. Columban. Can't really prove it, of course, but I would guess that James Ellot in your records was probably James Elliott. He was the son of Edward Elliott & Mary Blanchfield. James was born in St. Columban on October 9 1841 and would have been about the same age and the 1st cousin of Ann (or Margaret) Blanchfield. There were also a lot of Welsh (Walsh) families in St. Columban but I can't really connect directly to the godmother Margaret Welsh. Actually now that I see it with the baby named Margaret and the god-mother named Margaret, maybe the priest decided it was easier to just name the mother Margaret too so all the female first names could all be the same !!!

So, even when they changed around their first names it can lead to some confusion !!!