Montreal Connections Update

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes even a first name can drive you crazy as with this case where Shelia and I have been going back and forth to determine if the first name is [highlight]Ann or Margaret[/highlight]....

In the wedding she is referred to as Ann......

St. Patrick's, Montreal, Nov. 6, 1860 - M137
Patrick Clarke, laborer, son of James Clarke dec. and of Catherine (looks like) Tiernan. TO: [highlight]Ann Blanchfield[/highlight], daughter of Richard Blanchfield and of dec. Bridget McCarthy
Wit: Owen Partland.
Groom's parents, Co. Leitrim and bride's parents Co. Kilkenny.

Then when a her child Margaret is born, she is referred to as Margaret as follows...

St. Patrick's, Montreal, Nov. 3, 1864 - B898
Margaret Clarke, born Nov. 2, 1864, daughter of Patrick Clarke, gardener and of [highlight]Margaret Blanchfield.[/highlight]
GP: James (looks like, can't sign) Ellot and Margaret Welsh.

And these are some notes from our St. Columban records:-

She was born on March 13 1840 and baptized as Ann in St. Columban (B17). She was the daughter of Richard Blanchfield. Her mother, Bridget McCarthy died in St. Columban on October 16 1842 at only 21 years old (S16). Her parents had been married in St. Columban on February 11 1839 (M4). She seems to have been the only daughter from this marriage although there was also a son James Blanchfield born on January 3 1842 (B1). Her father Richard, re-married as per a previous note...Maybe in this case, she simply took the name Margaret or the priest at the baptism wrongly put her first name as Margaret assuming it was the same name as the new daughter, or he just wrote it as Margaret in error - who ever knows with this stuff?

Just for the additional notes about the baptism of Margaret Clarke, I would guess that the godparents were also from St. Columban. Can't really prove it, of course, but I would guess that James Ellot in your records was probably James Elliott. He was the son of Edward Elliott & Mary Blanchfield. James was born in St. Columban on October 9 1841 and would have been about the same age and the 1st cousin of Ann (or Margaret) Blanchfield. There were also a lot of Welsh (Walsh) families in St. Columban but I can't really connect directly to the godmother Margaret Welsh. Actually now that I see it with the baby named Margaret and the god-mother named Margaret, maybe the priest decided it was easier to just name the mother Margaret too so all the female first names could all be the same !!!

So, even when they changed around their first names it can lead to some confusion !!!

Sometimes even a first name can drive you crazy as with this case where Shelia and I have been going back and forth to determine if the first name is [highlight]Ann or Margaret[/highlight]....

In the wedding she is referred to as Ann......

St. Patrick's, Montreal, Nov. 6, 1860 - M137
Patrick Clarke, laborer, son of James Clarke dec. and of Catherine (looks like) Tiernan. TO: [highlight]Ann Blanchfield[/highlight], daughter of Richard Blanchfield and of dec. Bridget McCarthy
Wit: Owen Partland.
Groom's parents, Co. Leitrim and bride's parents Co. Kilkenny.

Then when a her child Margaret is born, she is referred to as Margaret as follows...

St. Patrick's, Montreal, Nov. 3, 1864 - B898
Margaret Clarke, born Nov. 2, 1864, daughter of Patrick Clarke, gardener and of [highlight]Margaret Blanchfield.[/highlight]
GP: James (looks like, can't sign) Ellot and Margaret Welsh.

And these are some notes from our St. Columban records:-

She was born on March 13 1840 and baptized as Ann in St. Columban (B17). She was the daughter of Richard Blanchfield. Her mother, Bridget McCarthy died in St. Columban on October 16 1842 at only 21 years old (S16). Her parents had been married in St. Columban on February 11 1839 (M4). She seems to have been the only daughter from this marriage although there was also a son James Blanchfield born on January 3 1842 (B1). Her father Richard, re-married as per a previous note...Maybe in this case, she simply took the name Margaret or the priest at the baptism wrongly put her first name as Margaret assuming it was the same name as the new daughter, or he just wrote it as Margaret in error - who ever knows with this stuff?

Just for the additional notes about the baptism of Margaret Clarke, I would guess that the godparents were also from St. Columban. Can't really prove it, of course, but I would guess that James Ellot in your records was probably James Elliott. He was the son of Edward Elliott & Mary Blanchfield. James was born in St. Columban on October 9 1841 and would have been about the same age and the 1st cousin of Ann (or Margaret) Blanchfield. There were also a lot of Welsh (Walsh) families in St. Columban but I can't really connect directly to the godmother Margaret Welsh. Actually now that I see it with the baby named Margaret and the god-mother named Margaret, maybe the priest decided it was easier to just name the mother Margaret too so all the female first names could all be the same !!!

So, even when they changed around their first names it can lead to some confusion !!!

Messages In This Thread
Montreal Connections Update - by Fergus_Keyes - 04-02-2006, 05:43 PM
Re: Montreal Connections Update - by Fergus_Keyes - 04-22-2006, 02:17 PM
Re: Montreal Connections Update - by sean_delaney - 04-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Re: Montreal Connections Update - by dublin9 - 06-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Is it Ann or is it Margaret Blanchfield ?? - by Fergus_Keyes - 07-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Re: Montreal Connections Update - by marylund - 08-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Possible Montreal Connections - by Fergus_Keyes - 08-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Re: Montreal Connections Update - by Mickeypolly - 08-12-2006, 01:59 PM